• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GPO at hard core avantgarde trial

Share/Bookmark

GPO at hard core avantgarde trial

Gentlemen,
    the Summer Festival deserves to show how GPO instruments are suitable for the hardest core avantgarde arrangements.
    Here is my personal interpretation of John Cage's 4'33"

https://www.box.com/s/5aac82513c54d9e50103

Comments are welcome.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Re: GPO at hard core avantgarde trial

I'm sorry. I don't understand why there is a C being played by a piano for those four and a half minutes?

That has absolutely nothing to do with 4'33".

I wish people would not make fun of Cage's gesture. For that is exactly what 4'33" was: a gesture.
    It was a means of forcing the audience to rethink what they considered to be "music", and where the line was drawn between actual silence and sound.
    It was a perfectly valid statement at the time it was made, and it DID make an impact on the state of music that followed.

As for the score: there are no notes in it, so it is erroneous to present a repeated C as being 4'33".

How about instead someone here present an excerpt from a Ligeti or Xenakis score using all GPO?

I'm sorry. The repeating C was a mistake of mine. I just updated the original link with the right one.
    Fabio

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    I'm sorry. The repeating C was a mistake of mine. I just updated the original link with the right one.
    Ah, now that's more like it.

Perhaps, as per this Wiki entry about 4'33" -
    ...The piece purports to consist of the sounds of the environment that the listeners hear while it is performed, although it is commonly perceived as four minutes thirty-three seconds of silence...
    --we could have had maybe some birds chirping outside the window, distant traffic driving by - Ah, but those aren't Garritan sounds, so silence is good.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Ah, now that's more like it.
    Sense of humor is something people has or hasn't.

we could have had maybe some birds chirping outside the window, distant traffic driving by - Ah, but those aren't Garritan sounds, so silence is good.
    You're right, but I can't see how list those things as non-Garritan instruments.
    Is "Silence" the next Garritan library they are recrding at Abbey Road...?

@qccowboy
    There are very interesting organ pieces from György Ligeti. Me too would like to hear one from our fine contributors.
    Have a nice day.
    Fabio

This all brings to mind the Kings new clothes
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX

@ buckshead

Fabio

This is my favorite Cage piece.
    ~Rod

While I might quibble slightly with some of the tempi and
    dynamics, certainly an astute and moving interpretation!

Best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

it's a shame that a gesture by a great musical thinker is faced with such derision on a forum supposedly dedicated to music.

without the idea of 4'33", the way we think of music in our present day would be radically different.

to ridicule the idea as nothing more than "silence as music" is to completely misunderstand the concept of "listen further than the silence".

When 4'33" was to be "performed" in a hall that was too acoustically secure, instructions were left to either leave the concert hall doors open, or to actually pipe in ambient sounds from outside.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast