• Register
  • Help

Topic: Studio computer going on the net

Share/Bookmark

Studio computer going on the net

Is there someone out there who knows how to completely disable sounds when going on the internet?

My main computer for sequencing is also my computer for browsing. When working on projects, I usually set the main volume to a fairly high level.

And then... I always seem to forget to turn down the volume before going on the internet... and that often leads to bad surprises, mostly on sites with flash stuff with sound.

I didn\'t see any way to disable all the sounds coming from the internet... There a sound option in IE options, but it doesn\'t seem to help.

Martin

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Studio computer going on the net

All of my production computers are networked together behind a firewall, so they all \"surf.\" I just have gotten into the habit of pulling down the mains whenever I am in uncharted waters. Lately, for instance, MSNBC has a lot of sound-inclusive advertising, which is always loud and obnoxious to the nth degree.

That\'s really about all you can do, to be 100% safe.

Maybe add a cheap sound card and route Windows\' audio through it? Of course this introduces a risk of IRQ sharing etc, but once it works it shouldn\'t cost you any serious CPU resources.

*Disregard* [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Disabling the JAVAscript or JAVA 100% causes incompatibility problems with certain sites, but at least you wont get annoying popups and sounds from them.

Thomas

Internet Explorer also has a \"Enable sounds in web pages\" checkbox in Tools > Internet Options > Advanced. Don\'t know if Flash and java sounds bypass this checkbox. But it\'s worth a try. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Maarten

The problem mostly comes from flash sites, and there is no option that I\'m aware of to disable sounds...

there is a play sounds in web pages checkbox in advanced/multimedia. did you try and uncheck that? I have version 6

Originally posted by Duke750:
    there is a play sounds in web pages checkbox in advanced/multimedia. did you try and uncheck that? I have version 6
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yeah... but it has no effect on flash sites...

Go Back to forum