• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Garden of Love for SSAA, Piano, and Cello (LIVE)

Share/Bookmark

The Garden of Love for SSAA, Piano, and Cello (LIVE)

"The Garden of Love" for SSAA, piano, and cello is based on the poetry of William Blake.

This is a live recording, and the very first time I heard the choir version except for inside my head. Lets just say the sound was too emotional for me to handle as soon as the choir broke into chords. I so pray that one day all of you can have an experience that I had that night as a composer. This work contains several personal notes in my life that I may share with you all in a discussion later in this thread. Not only have I included the mp3 but also the score. I hope you enjoy, and thank you for letting me post this work.
    ~Rod
    https://www.box.com/s/55c7e5dfd4e286ec1ee6

Re: The Garden of Love for SSAA, Piano, and Cello (LIVE)

Joining in on the applause at the end of the recording!

Well, I'm certainly glad we loosened up the posting rules so we can hear something like this as well as our usual Garritan pieces - THANK YOU, Rodney.

This is a lovely piece, elegant in its simplicity, soaring in its progressing melody - and certainly very nicely performed! You're very fortunate indeed to have the experience of hearing your music performed live like this.

Is the text from a Psalm?

Technical note - you said this is an MP3, actually it's an m4a, and Box can't play that in its media player. I downloaded, and was glad I didn't have to do a conversion - my Windows Media Player was able to play it. It's just an unusual format to post music in, I don't think I've seen a LR post using it before. But - it works - hope people realize it's not that big of a deal to download and listen. It's possible that some Forum Windows users may pass this up because of the download, but I hope not - they should hear this.

Thank you again, Rod!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Joining in on the applause at the end of the recording!

Well, I'm certainly glad we loosened up the posting rules so we can hear something like this as well as our usual Garritan pieces - THANK YOU, Rodney.

This is a lovely piece, elegant in its simplicity, soaring in its progressing melody - and certainly very nicely performed! You're very fortunate indeed to have the experience of hearing your music performed live like this.

Is the text from a Psalm?

Technical note - you said this is an MP3, actually it's an m4a, and Box can't play that in its media player. I downloaded, and was glad I didn't have to do a conversion - my Windows Media Player was able to play it. It's just an unusual format to post music in, I don't think I've seen a LR post using it before. But - it works - hope people realize it's not that big of a deal to download and listen. It's possible that some Forum Windows users may pass this up because of the download, but I hope not - they should hear this.

Thank you again, Rod!

Randy
    Thank you for the technical note Randy. I just changed it to a MP3 so I pray that everyone will go back now and take a listen. Let me know if it works.

The text is from William Blake's (November 28, 1757- August 28, 1827) poem "The Garden of Love" which was written to express Blake's beliefs on the naturalness of sexuality and how organised religion, particularly the orthodox Christian church of Blake's time with their preaching and rules cause the repression of our natural desires, but I also used the text in another interpretation concerning the passing of my grandparents. I used it to express how their home used to be our "Garden of Love" where the family would spend the holidays, but now since their passing the house has become a tomb. The interpretation, however, is left up to the listener. Atheist have told me that they enjoyed this work because of its criticism of the church. People who believe in God tell me that they can hear his heart in this composition. Maybe I should run for office one day?

Thank you once again for your kind words Randy, and to the forum for letting me post a live work.
    ~Rod

A very moving performance of a truly beautiful work,
    Rod -- this literally gave me shivers in places.

I am so glad for you to have had the experience of
    hearing this performed, and performed rightly and well!

With much applause,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    A very moving performance of a truly beautiful work,
    Rod -- this literally gave me shivers in places.

I am so glad for you to have had the experience of
    hearing this performed, and performed rightly and well!

With much applause,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thank you David for your kind words and taking the time to listen to some live music. Your words meant a lot to me. At least I know Randy and you enjoyed it. The one thing that gives me such joy in my life is hearing my music perfromed live. I just want to tell everyone though that you have to go out there and work for it. Noone is going to be knocking at your front door saying, "My 100 piece chorus wants to sing one of your pieces!" You have to go out there, work on your craft, be confident, and bold to make it happen.
    ~Rod

Go Back to forum