• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ultimate String Collection?

Share/Bookmark

Ultimate String Collection?

Is anybody out there using Ultimate String Collection by East West.

It scored the high ranking in SOS mag but haven\'t really heard anybody mention it on this forum?

I just recently heard a demo and it sounded pretty good.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

R & S

Re: Ultimate String Collection?

deleted message

[This message has been edited by migo (edited 06-24-2000).]

Is anybody out there using Ultimate String Collection by East West.
    It scored the high ranking in SOS mag but haven\'t really heard anybody mention it on this forum?
    I just recently heard a demo and it sounded pretty good.
    Any feedback would be appreciated.
    R & S

I use this library and Miroslav exclusively for strings but that\'s just my personal preference. I\'ve tried both AO strings and Kirk Hunter but wasn\'t impressed with most of the samples (exceptions are few of the nice violin runs,trills and glisses found on AO string disc) Miroslav and Ultimate blend well.. where Miroslav samples lack force and bounce on faster passages, Ultimate strings picks up very nicely. The up & down arco bows on violins come in extremely handy while the viola samples are top notch. I think in the end the choice of a string library depends on 1) personal taste & musical needs
    2) money/budget

Regards,
    Gulliver.

Miroslav and Ultimate blend well.. where Miroslav samples lack force and bounce on faster passages,
    Ultimate strings picks up very nicely.

***Yes, I feel the same way. And when I heard the Ultimate string demo it actually had fast passages that were convincing. This one sample of a fast run is what we need.

The up & down arco bows on violins come in extremely handy while the viola samples are top notch.

*** in Sound on Sound magazine the reviewer said the up and down bowings were only available in the Violins.

I think in the end the choice of a string library depends on 1) personal taste & musical needs
    2) money/budget

****Thanks a bunch. Really your message was a bit of a clincher for my wife and I. The miroslav mini also lacks the fast attacks in the clarinet. So we\'ll be probaly seeking out a woodwinds volume as well. (maybe the AO volume 3 woodwinds.

Any recommendations?

Regards,
    Rebecca and Steve

In Sound on Sound magazine the reviewer said the up and down bowings were only available in the Violins.

True... The machine-gun like effect one hears with a normal sample playing a repeated single-note passage is more evident in the higher register, that is why the up&down samples come in very handy with the violins. Plus it makes a world of difference with runs and arpeggios.

Thanks a bunch. Really your message was a bit of a clincher for my wife and I. The miroslav mini also lacks the fast attacks in the clarinet. So we\'ll be probaly seeking out a woodwinds volume as well. (maybe the AO volume 3 woodwinds.Any recommendations?

You\'ve mentioned the \'mini\' version so I\'m guessing that some of the more agressive and non-legato clarinet samples were left out? I\'m not sure if you want to invest in a whole new disc inorder to get at a few woodwind samples but if you need a more comprehensive set of samples then the AO woodwind disc is more than adequate. You can also take a look at the Xsample library. The Miroslav woodwind samples are spread over two Solo Discs and they\'re expensive but I have yet to come across a set as beautiful.

Regards,
    Gulliver.

Also, if anyone is curious about these SoS magazine reviews, checkout
    http://www.sospubs.co.uk/sos/jan00/h...rchestral1.htm
    It\'s a buyer\'s guide and overview of the available orchestral sample libraries out there today. Missing from the review are some of the newer libraries like Xsample and Quantum Leap Brass.

In Sound on Sound magazine the reviewer said the up and down bowings were only available in the Violins.

True... The machine-gun like effect one hears with a normal sample playing a repeated single-note passage is more evident in the higher register, that is why the up&down samples come in very handy with the violins. Plus it makes a world of difference with runs and arpeggios.

Thanks a bunch. Really your message was a bit of a clincher for my wife and I. The miroslav mini also lacks the fast attacks in the clarinet. So we\'ll be probaly seeking out a woodwinds volume as well. (maybe the AO volume 3 woodwinds.Any recommendations?

You\'ve mentioned the \'mini\' version so I\'m guessing that some of the more agressive and non-legato clarinet samples were left out? I\'m not sure if you want to invest in a whole new disc inorder to get at a few woodwind samples but if you need a more comprehensive set of samples then the AO woodwind disc is more than adequate. You can also take a look at the Xsample library. The Miroslav woodwind samples are spread over two Solo Discs and they\'re expensive but I have yet to come across a set as beautiful.

Regards,
    Gulliver.

Ryo

I preffer Advanced Orchestra Strings to Ultimate Strings because key dimention controle in AO is very helpful.
    But some of the patches in Ultimate Strings are warm and useful.

[This message has been edited by Ryo (edited 06-24-2000).]

Go Back to forum