• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Halion 2.0

Share/Bookmark

Halion 2.0

Just wanted to hear from guys that have gone
    up to Halion 2.0
    1) does it do giga key switching and mod wheel?
    2) Is it buggy

Thanks
    Dave

Re: Halion 2.0

Originally posted by ddk:
    Just wanted to hear from guys that have gone
    up to Halion 2.0
    1) does it do giga key switching and mod wheel?
    2) Is it buggy

Thanks
    Dave
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes more key-switching and dimensions than any other sampler.

Not buggy - except for the \"Raw\" mode that doesn\'t work. But it\'s not a big problem.

Hi,

I agree with Mr Skarbye. Hal2 is great!

All the best,

Magnus

Hi,

I have switched to Halion 2 for my orchestral setup, and it does the job well. Gigastudio import does not work as expected, though. Multiple crossfades are supported, but do not import properly and can only be achieved by some annoying editing work. Release triggered samples do not work, too, and it is not really possible to correct this with editing.

Nevertheless I can recommend Halion - editing is a breeze and lets you achieve complex custom setups in no time.

So be prepared to spend some hours with programming when switching to Halion... I hope that Steinberg fixes these issues in their next update.

Oliver

Originally posted by DeOlivier:
    ... Release triggered samples do not work, too, and it is not really possible to correct this with editing.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Oliver,

I managed to set the release samples up correctly for the Larry Seyer\'s Upright Bass. I describe how I did this towards the end of this topic here: http://www.northernsounds.com/ubb/NonCGI/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=005137#000000

Won\'t this work for you?

I agree that the Giga import is quirky. I haven\'t tried importing a lot of instruments, but my experience with the Larry Seyer\'s Upright in the topic above demonstrates that all is not well...

Please explain in what way the multiple crossfades do not import properly.

All the best,

Magnus

Here\'s a note on the xfade imports into Halion. I did an import of the SI mini and compared to gigastudio. the import looks good, it\'s just that Halion has a big bug in the way it handles Mod Wheel / Megga trigger volume settings.
    Here is what I did to test.
    I took a plain sample set, like one of the ones that comes with halion. I selected all samples, went into megga trig page. set it to note on and controller 1 which was set to Mod wheel. Then in the next page to the left, I set the top setting to Mod Wheel, clicked edit and put a standard fade from 0 to 127 left to right. and clicked apply and ok. Then I set the amount to 100, and the output to volume. this should create a ramp from 0 to 127 for volume using the mod wheel. If you set the Mod Wheel to 0 there is still volume. If you reverse the ramp from 127 to 0, then set the amount on the main page to -100 and output to volume and it works fine.
    So on imported samples like the SI mini I just selected groups of samples. I copied them to folders to make it easier to work on. then reversed the settings for them. It took about 5 minutes per instrument. And they worked fine except the release is not right, I posted in the other group of messages about that, I\'ll try your fix tonight and see if it corrects them.

Hi Duke,

Thanks for replying. So, the multiple cross fade import only relates to Mod Wheel volume control, is that right?

All the best,

Magnus

I\'ve had nothing but problems with Halion 2.0. I have a very stable system, and rarely have any problems...except for Halion. It transposes things at random, sometimes it shreeks when it should play, and it does wierd things to my Cubase SX tempo track...slows it down at random.

I\'m glad many of you are having good luck, but I\'m sure not. I use Giga, and I\'ve been learning to appreciate Kontakt. Halion is a PIA, and I really don\'t have the time or motivation to make it work. Life\'s too short...

Just my experience...

>So, the multiple cross fade import only relates
    to Mod Wheel volume control, is that right?

I would hope a sample developer will correct me if I\'m wrong about how xfades work.
    The bug I\'m describing is just that. Multiple sample sets are faded in and out with the mod wheel, hence the name cross fade. kind of like a switch but using volume fades, and when imported into Halion the settings don\'t work as they are supposed to, most that I\'ve done look to have correct settings but don\'t work. So if you adjust them by reversing them they work (bug in Halion?). But that is a real pain. If they fix this bug and you\'ve spent time modifying some of your samples then they should not work again. So I have been trying to get a response from Steinberg to acknowledge this bug and whether it is planned for a fix on update. But have got no response yet. I sent emails to support some time ago and now have just started posting here and on the cubase.net list to see if anyone knows anything about this.

sporter,
    That is pretty bizarre behavior from Halion. I don\'t blame you for shelving the product. I\'ve had no problems at all with those types of things, like tempo and transposeing. That\'s just weird. I\'d flip out and be quite upset if I did. Sorry to hear that.

Thanks for the hint on release samples, Magnus! I\'ll try it as soon as I have time to.

Concerning the crossfades - it\'s exactly the way Duke describes it. There must be a bug in the import routine when importing modwheel crossfading programs. All the samples are there and the modwheel curves look right, but what you hear when playing the program are all the layers at the same time, with only slight volume changes when using the mod wheel. A workaround is to flip the curves, but this can be a time-consuming task, especially with multi-layered programs. And - as Duke stated - you can re-program all your samples when Steinberg fixes the bug!

Oliver

Go Back to forum