• Register
  • Help

Topic: "June" for mixed quartet

"June" for mixed quartet

Since hearing about the Listening Room Festival, I've been meaning to post a few things, but I'm working on many projects with deadlines and I'm behind on everything, so certain things have had to take a back seat. I'm giving myself a day off, though, so I'll try to upload a piece or two.

A couple of months ago, I participated in the Rapido composition contest. For those who don't know about it, the idea behind it is for all participants to write a 4-6 minute work within assigned parameters within a 14-day period. This year, the assignment was for everyone to write two dances for oboe, violin, cello, and piano.

Due to poor planning on my part, I was away from home for the first week of the composition period, and unfortunately I am someone who just cannot do any composing except at home in my studio. So my two week window got compressed to one week.

I was able to get a five minute piece done, but I had to basically just slam something out and hope it worked. As it turned out, it was better than I had hoped, but could be improved. Right now, I think of it as a first draft of something that I may work on somewhere down the line.

I've learned that my piece didn't make the cut and I'm no longer in the contest, so I'm just going to post it here. The title, because I couldn't think of anything better, is just "June."

The mp3 uses GPO (full) with Finale playback (no tweaking on my part).

And here's the score for those who want to follow along.

Dan Powers

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Re: "June" for mixed quartet

Dan! Super - This is great that you gave yourself a break today so you could post music for the Festival!

side note - Your Forum Avatar has always been one of my faves. I love it. It's a pity we can't change our pictures anymore - that's been broken for years now. I disliked my picture immediately on the same day I posted it, but I'm stuck with it. Glad you're stuck with such a fun one.

Impressive - you left yourself only a week for that contest - But I really like what you came up with. Full of life and energy, and certainly something you'll want to work on at some point later on. Your intertwining lines for that handful of instruments are expertly handled, really lovely stuff.

I hope you don't mind sharing the spotlight a bit. At least one other forum member entered that contest also, and recently posted his entry. I think you'll be interested to hear what someone else came up with under the same restrictions you faced in writing your "June."

Here's Gary Aubry's "A Whimsical Dance."

Great stuff, Dan - Thanks for enlivening the Festival!

Good to see you here, Dan!

A well done quartet, Dan -- though built solidly, it retains a certain
    freedom and improvisatorial character, too.

Now, of course, I'm going to ask for the next movement... lol. This
    is definitely inviting additional further development. Perhaps all
    twelve months are on the way --?

Nice job on the score, by the way.

All the best,

David Sosnowski

Suburban NYC

Hi Dan,

So cool to hear your contest piece; a very good listen ... I enjoyed it. I liked that lurking, incessant piano line in the first part. And the oboe @ 2:48 was great too; so lyrical.

Thanks for posting it.

PS: For whatever reason, I really liked the simple, gotta-give-it-a-name of "June" ... works for me; the month or a girl's name. Sometimes such a spontaneous name just seems to work!

Freshness... melancholy... all you can ask out of June-time. They missed a though competitor.

Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Go Back to forum