• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Compleat "Tom Sawyer" (all songs demoed with videos)

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation The Compleat "Tom Sawyer" (all songs demoed with videos)

(click the image to go to site)

Gathered together in one place, here are all the songs and some dialogue segments from my stage musical
    based on Mark Twain's "Tom Sawyer."

For now, the site is only being posted here on the Garritan Forum, and I'll also use the link as a more convenient way to demonstrate the show to potential producers.

The first page of the site has MP3 clips. Click the "Video Demos" button for full length versions of the songs.

From July 2011 through August 2012, I posted MP3s of the show's number sequentially here in The Listening Room. On this new website, the songs are demonstrated with videos. Illustrations and movie clips have been put together as imagery analogous to what's going on during the songs and scenes. The videos make for a more entertaining way to demonstrate the show rather than just hearing the songs and reading the script.

The backing tracks for these vocal demos were produced primarily with Garritan Libraries, and were intended to be used in the initial production of the show. As of this posting, it's unclear if the theatre group the show was written for will be moving forward on the project. But the show is now available for other groups, and the fully produced tracks are available to them also if it isn't practical for them to use a live band.

So, if you'd like to hear the show, there it is!

I want to again thank the folks who've shown interest in this project, and especially to those of you who took the time to post responses on the "Sawyer" threads. There was high interest initially, with the first post getting over 3,000 hits. Traffic dropped off dramatically as I continued on posting the songs, but rather than think that was a reflection of members' opinion of the show's quality, I decided it was rather a reflection of how these simple pop-country-show tunes just weren't the sort of thing most Forum members have interest in.

Anticipating a lack of interest almost stopped me from ever sharing the show here, but I'm glad I went ahead and posted it all anyway, because it's been fun sharing it with the small audience it attracted.

Now those of you who came in after the curtain went up can go back and hear what you missed, and those who heard it all can easily go back through and listen again to whatever you want.

I think anyone visiting the new site will get a kick out of the visuals now accompanying the music. Have fun!

Randy

Re: The Compleat "Tom Sawyer" (all songs demoed with videos)

I need to beg everyone's pardon. I'm boosting my own post, which isn't customary netiquette, but I hope you can indulge me.

I put this Sawyer website together for the Forum, hoping that interested parties would find out about it. But this announcement post swooped down to the second page so fast that it wasn't very noticed. Hence the "bad form" bump.

The invisible counter I have at the site shows 2 people have taken a look so far, and I think there were at least a few more people than that who wanted the show's tunes collected together on a page so they could catch the show.

The videos now accompanying the tracks are pretty amusing. They make listening to the show more entertaining even for folks not especially interested in vocal tracks.

So - hope this self-bump isn't too annoying. I hope my explanation here explains well enough why I just had to bite the bullet and bring this back to the top.

Thanks.

Randy

Randy, “Tom Sawyer” is absolutely wonderful, my friend! The musical is chock full of charm, wit, but most of all heart. This should be a sticky here on the forum. Randy, do you mind if I contact The Surry Arts Council in North Carolina? This would be right up their ally. http://surryart.ipower.com/main/disp...ndexframe.html Congratulations once again on you awesome achievement!!!!
    ~Rod

Hey, Rodney - You were one of the people I was hoping would notice the new "Sawyer" site, so I really appreciate you letting me know you indeed found the announcement. Thanks much for the post and well wishes.

AND thanks for the link to The Surry Arts Council site! I can tell from looking around that "Sawyer" really could be right up their alley, as you said. I like the group a lot already not only because of the production shots at their site, but because they also have a link posted to the Andy Griffith Museum!

That would be great for you to contact them on my behalf. They have contact info at the site, but if you have an In there with them, that could be potentially more effective. Thanks much.

Randy

I will contact them then!
    ~Rod

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    I will contact them then!
    ~Rod
    Wonderful, thanks, Rod. With what was to be the first production not materializing yet, I do need to try getting the show done at other venues. For contact info, give them my email address which you have.

Thanks!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Wonderful, thanks, Rod. With what was to be the first production not materializing yet, I do need to try getting the show done at other venues. For contact info, give them my email address which you have.

Thanks!

Randy
    I will do just that!

Hi Randy,

Although commenting on this thread bumps it all the way from page 2, with the Garritan Listening Room Summer Music Festival in full swing, it's really only a few days since it fell off of page one!

And I couldn't let it go without congratulating you on this totally fun project you so generously shared with us ... Thank you for enriching our listens with some good, ole' Americana musical theater.

I just listened to the Finale and all the included underscores (loved the NA instruments on IJ in the Caves cue ... c-r-e-e-p-y!!) and like the balance of your show, they were well written, orchestrated and meaty without ever belaboring any points.

Last Fall I finished arrangements/orchestrations for a musical comedy, and this week I learned we'll be tackling a new musical comedy (a review-type show) for Spring 2013 ... but your Tom Sawyer is not a musical comedy (not that there weren't great comedic elements here and there!) so I thoroughly enjoyed the contrast of listening to a show with the intimacy and poignancy that your songs, arrangements, and orchestrations provided. A non-comedic show needs these elements to create a successful vibe, and, man, did you do that! The ending in particular was nicely restrained and so appropriate.

Also, fantastic job with the show's web site ... really cool, great videos, and I hope it becomes a valuable resource for you and potential producers ... best of luck with getting it staged!

You know what a musical theater nut I am, so thank you again for this fabulous journey through Americana ... I loved it!

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
    Hi Randy,

Although commenting on this thread bumps it all the way from page 2, with the Garritan Listening Room Summer Music Festival in full swing, it's really only a few days since it fell off of page one!

And I couldn't let it go without congratulating you on this totally fun project you so generously shared with us ... Thank you for enriching our listens with some good, ole' Americana musical theater...

Also, fantastic job with the show's web site ... really cool, great videos, and I hope it becomes a valuable resource for you and potential producers...

Frank
    Thank you, Frank - I don't see any problem in bumping this. I did that once myself because it originally fell to page 2 in one day!-- I suspected people didn't even see it. After spending several days putting this all together for the Forum, it was rather like rehearsing for an opening night - but the auditorium was empty when the curtain went up!

I appreciate you and Rodney letting me know that the thread isn't invisible after all. Thanks much for your very kind words and faithful patronage!

Randy

Hi Randy

What nice and refreshing music. For once not modern-like or complicated cerebral music to get lost in. Just entertaining and yet well written and performed. I'm glad this forum offers room to all kinds of composition (and not just contemporary stuff).

Thank you for providing the link.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast