• Register
  • Help

Topic: Composition for 2 Violins: "quite an ordinary working day in summer"

Share/Bookmark

Composition for 2 Violins: "quite an ordinary working day in summer"

So folks, you have waited long enough, after all my "renditions" of other composers' works here is now one by myself.

It is for two solo violins, was recently submitted for a competition, but did not win anything. The rendition is not really up to par with my other stuff, the emphasis was here on quantization and getting the printed score correct, so this rendition is really only a sketch of how I approximately wanted the music to sound. This piece really should be played by two real violins. Yet, the GPO samples do not sound too bad.

The music describes acoustically/musically a typical working day in summer. Starting from night, then sun ruse, going to work in rush hour, work routine, daydreaming, a beautiful distracting colleague, a demanding boss, then going home finally, partying, then again night.

http://www.indabamusic.com/asset/show/1841640

In the indaba player I added comments, which denote exactly the various sentiments.

I hope you like it!

Unfortunately I will not be able to comment a lot to other music, because I am about to go off on travel, probably with very limited internet. But as soon as I have a good connection, I will also listen to others' works and comment.

Cheers,
    Reinhold

Re: Composition for 2 Violins: "quite an ordinary working day in summer"

Quote Originally Posted by reinholdbehringer View Post
    So folks, you have waited long enough, after all my "renditions" of other composers' works here is now one by myself.
    Your renderings of classic music are always wonderful experiences for listeners, Reinhold - but you're right that it is high time we hear from your own voice. Thank you for taking the plunge and posting an original!
    ...This piece really should be played by two real violins. Yet, the GPO samples do not sound too bad.
    You're right, those GPO instruments don't sound bad really. I think most of us feel the solo strings are weak in GPO, and best used in concert with ensembles, but there are times when we have to use them in the spotlight, as you have here. The relative success of the results really depends on the music. And in the case of your piece - it's certainly interesting enough for us to focus on more than just the samples!
    The music describes acoustically/musically a typical working day in summer. Starting from night, then sun ruse, going to work in rush hour, work routine, daydreaming, a beautiful distracting colleague, a demanding boss, then going home finally, partying, then again night.
    Google Translate tells me that your title, "Ein ganz gewoehnlicher Arbeitstag im Sommer" is "A fairly ordinary working day in the summer"-- Seems like that's a reasonable translation.
    In the indaba player I added comments, which denote exactly the various sentiments.
    Program Music with detailed and precisely placed notes from the composer! What a great way to use that feature at Indaba! It's always rather annoyed me when I've seen that feature before, since it's primarily used by listeners to insert their comments - and I get annoyed rather easily by the constant appeal for people to offer their opinion on everything under the sun - "Rate this!" "How many stars?" "click 'Like'!" "Write a review!"--argh, I don't find that healthy.

BUT for you, the composer, to use that site feature for telling us exactly what you want at the exact moments in your piece - that's great! Since it is Program Music, with a specific story to tell, it was something like watching a silent movie with intertitles to read.

And speaking of silent movies - Your piece, now inextricably connected to the specific story you outlined, brought a great silent movie to mind, "The Crowd," a classic, great American film from 1928. Take a look at this page about the film, and you'll get a good idea of why it came to mind as I listened, and I was thinking of how your piece would work as a music soundtrack for the film:

"The Crowd"

And I enjoyed listening. The tensions never veered into despair, there was definitely a sense of getting through another tedious day with its small challenges, and glimpses of escape. I found the piece very interesting.

Thank you, Reinhold.

Randy

Hi Randy,

only now, 2 1/2 years later, I see your reply! After I had posted my music., I was on travel, and I never got back to check for responses to my post. So, apologies for this!

Thank you for the very nice comments! I appreciate very much that you did enjoy the music and the "program comments" which I placed into the music stream. Also thank you for the recommendation about the film "The Crowd". This really sounds like a wonderful film, and I will watch it as soon as I have an opportunity! I am a fan of classic movies, and when living in the US, the Turner Classic Movies Channel was the one I watched most. I always liked the comments given by Robert Osborne.

Why am I returning to this thread?

Well, I have an update to this music. I took the composition for 2 violins and added a viola and a cello. Now it is for a string quartet. I only changed 2 or 3 notes of the existing score.

The string quartet is here:

https://soundcloud.com/reinhold-behr...string-quartet

I did again add the program comments, to clarify what I "meant" when writing the music.

The original version is no longer on Indaba, I got fed up with their continued insistence on Flash, which does not work on my mobile devices.

But I uploaded the 2-violin version here, just for reference (without the program comments):

https://soundcloud.com/reinhold-behr...-for-2-violins

I hope you enjoy also the new version, which has a bit more bass. I did also revise the expression recording for the violins.

Hi Reinhold,

From time to time, a come in peeping in this forum again and I was pretty much surprised this time, even in two ways.

1. A genuine original composition by you (not that I doubted your skills in any way), but you overwhelmed me by this one. What a fantastic idea and how nicely did you tell the ordinary working day story. Don't worry about the GPOs, they just do fine, they are the right means for you sonic tale. Congrats! (Although I could only listen to the quartet version, the duet didn't show up at all...)
    2. A pleasant meeting with Randy again. Speaking of a surprise. I'd love to see him more often again, with all respect for his compositional work next to the time consuming forum comments.

I'm glad I could pay another visite to the NS-forum!

Max

Hi Max,

thank you for your kind comments! I am glad you liked the music and the idea behind it.

The original violin duo (without the program comments) is here:

The link in the very first post of this thread is no longer working, as that music is no longer on Indaba.

Hi Max,

thank you for your kind comments! I am glad you liked the music and the idea behind it.

The original violin duo (without the program comments) is here:

The link in the very first post of this thread is no longer working, as that music is no longer on Indaba.
    Thanks for the (working) link. Was this the original version? I stick to my earlier comment, but with a slight preference for the quartet version.

Max

Quote Originally Posted by Max Hamburg View Post
    Thanks for the (working) link. Was this the original version? I stick to my earlier comment, but with a slight preference for the quartet version.

Max

yes, that violin-duet version is the recording I made in July 2012.

For the quartet recording I did revise only a few notes, and I did re-record all the violin expression. I might still do another recording, to provide a bit more contrast. And to control the vibrato which sometimes should be a bit more subdued.

The added cello and viola provide some more substance and make the sound fuller, so I also prefer this version over the two-violins one.

Is that really you?

It is great, I did not expect this from you,hence my question above.It is, after listening to your usual brilliant postings, just a great surprise.
    Sorry I did not catch this earlier..

Thanks for posting.

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedvanya View Post
    Is that really you?

Ted
    Yes, Ted, it is me

I have had compositional ambitions since a very long time, but the creation of renditions of existing works got somewhat more in the foreground. This was because playing and recording music by others is a great learning experience, in terms of studying what other composers have done with music instruments and ensembles.

So far I still feel that I am learning a lot, and I will create more renditions of existing works. But I will also strive to record my own voice through creating my own compositions.

Go Back to forum