• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question for Thomas J (crossfades)

Share/Bookmark

Question for Thomas J (crossfades)

Hi Thomas,

A couple of weeks ago you made a statement that you have built quite a few \'crossfade\' samples for use in your writing template. Now that I have VSL, GOS, VOta, Lop, many other olders libraries etc. I wanted to start getting the most mileage out of them as possible. I suppose xcross fades are good for two reasons (please correct me if I have this wrong):

1. more expressive instruments
    2. allow for more instruments loaded at once (provided I don\'t hit Ram limits on my 1 and 2gig - giga computers).

My specific question is -- Can you give me (us) a summary of the best combinations that you find you are using day in and day out?

I now have CDXtract which has a function to perform crossfades and make up \'new instruments\'. I am really excited to get started personalizing my libraries.

Many thanks in advance. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Rob

Re: Question for Thomas J (crossfades)

I\'m not really sure how to answer this question, but in general having the conversion tool do the work only gets you so far. You still need to do the major work (Which includes filtering your brass and making proper attenuation settings for each layer of the instrument) - all is done using your ear and general knowledge on the instrument and its dynamic range. I use x-fades for ALL instruments including solo instruments. Yes, it does pose a certain dilemma with regards to solo instruments and phasing, but in my opinion the expression you gain from it more than makes up for it. Most libraries you buy today have x-fade programs that saves you a bit of work. I still like to reprogram it to my personal taste. Especially since many developers seem to dismiss the effectivity of lowpass filters on brass. I suggest you fool around and try out stuff. Learn the editor. It will give yuo a lot of flexibility and it really isn\'t that hard to learn.

I\'m not sure this is the answer you were looking for, if not please elaborate so that I can provide you with a more detailed answer.

Good luck,
    Thomas

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the reply. Although, it seems a bit of a \'learning curve\', getting a firm hold of the editor - will pay dividends. I\'ll dive into it and get started. Is there a tutorial for the editor better than the rest. Again, thanks for your help.

Rob

Rob, I think Dave Govett (sp?) did the GS mastery book. I think it\'s got a section on the editor. I\'m like you, I\'m really not understanding it without a lot of work, which I don\'t have time for. I know tons of software, I\'ve used some of the most complicated software for years. I know Logic and Finale like the back of my hand (which a lot of people can\'t figure out) but I have yet to figure out the GS editor.... don\'t why, it\'s just not intuitive you know! At least not for me.

Originally posted by J. Whaley:
    Rob, I think Dave Govett (sp?) did the GS mastery book. I think it\'s got a section on the editor. I\'m like you, I\'m really not understanding it without a lot of work, which I don\'t have time for. I know tons of software, I\'ve used some of the most complicated software for years. I know Logic and Finale like the back of my hand (which a lot of people can\'t figure out) but I have yet to figure out the GS editor.... don\'t why, it\'s just not intuitive you know! At least not for me.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hey thanks for the tip on Dave\'s book.

Dave, if you happen to see this post - can you provide (or do you already have) a written tutorial that focuses on \'crossfading\' and as Thomas says also working with LPF\'s. It seems to be a terrific way for us to \'customize\' our huge investment in our libraries to suit our writing styles.

Of course, I am certainly willing to pay a fair price for your expertise.

Thanks in advance,

Rob

First of all I really think you\'re making yourself believe it\'s a lot harder to learn than it actually is. Please do yourself a favor and load up any simple instrument into the editor. Fool around with things, change settings, see what each thing does to your patch and learn it that way. Devote a day to it and you should be up and running pretty quickly.

Second, filters are REALLY easy to implement. Just go to the filters section in the editor, choose your filtertype (lowpass in this case), choose how you want it to respond and how you want it to shape the sound. You can choose between midi controllers or dynamic control with velocity response. It\'s so simple.

I was building my first instruments within a day from purchasing Gigasampler and in Gigastudio it\'s no different. This is not because I\'m super intelligent or a fast learner or anything, it\'s just because it\'s REALLY SIMPLE!

Learning the editor is most likely the best time investment there is. You\'ll benefit heaps from it. IT\'S NOT HARD!

You may want to pick up Dave\'s tutorial which I\'m sure is great, but I\'m pretty sure it will still require you to do some work in order to understand things.

Good luck!

Thomas

HI Thomas,

I will give this a go. I\'ll start with a VSL trombone and develop a crossfade / filter using MW. Thanks for the help.

Rob

Go Back to forum