• Register
  • Help

Topic: What's Next from Snorlax?

Share/Bookmark

What's Next from Snorlax?

Well, we have had a little bit of everything, so I was thinking of what's been kinda missing...for my next pile of dreck...

1. FLETCHER HENDERSON/BENNY GOODMAN--we haven't had much of any swing-era band stuff, so it's on the way soon.

2. RAYMOND SCOTT: The Penguin. If you don't know Raymond Scott's music, yes--you do know some of it if you watched Looney Tunes or Animaniacs. But that was only a very small part of his output. In reality, all of us who dabble in samples owe everything to Raymond Scott. He was doing it LONG before Moog, LONG before Walter Sear, LONG LONG before Wendy Carlos, etc. Just Google Raymond Scott and see just what a genius of acoustic and electric music he was.

BTW, I worked for Walter Sear in the late 60s when his electronic music and recording studio was in the Great Northern Hotel in NYC. I pulled patch cords and did setups in exchange for lessons. Walter was another lesser-known champion of electronic music.

He passed away not long ago--if you don't know about Sear Sound in NY, google it as well.

Snor (old enough to be giving history lessons) lax
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Re: What's Next from Snorlax?

Quote Originally Posted by snorlax View Post
    Well, we have had a little bit of everything, so I was thinking of what's been kinda missing...for my next pile of dreck...

1. FLETCHER HENDERSON/BENNY GOODMAN--we haven't had much of any swing-era band stuff, so it's on the way soon.

2. RAYMOND SCOTT: The Penguin. If you don't know Raymond Scott's music, yes--you do know some of it if you watched Looney Tunes or Animaniacs. But that was only a very small part of his output. In reality, all of us who dabble in samples owe everything to Raymond Scott. He was doing it LONG before Moog, LONG before Walter Sear, LONG LONG before Wendy Carlos, etc. Just Google Raymond Scott and see just what a genius of acoustic and electric music he was.

BTW, I worked for Walter Sear in the late 60s when his electronic music and recording studio was in the Great Northern Hotel in NYC. I pulled patch cords and did setups in exchange for lessons. Walter was another lesser-known champion of electronic music.

He passed away not long ago--if you don't know about Sear Sound in NY, google it as well.

Snor (old enough to be giving history lessons) lax
    Wow and WOW, Snor!! Can't wait! I'm familiar with both BG/FH & Scott ... but not Sear; a friend of mine turned me on to Raymond Scott. There are a bunch of wonderfully recorded CD's form Holland I believe (Metropole Jazz Orchestra?) that made recent (last 10 yrs?) recordings of a lot of his larger ensemble arrangements ... killer stuff and you are right: if you listened to a cartoon, you've probably heard some of his classics!

Now get busy and swing!

Frank (who is old enough to understand your trip through 20th Century music!)

Great, Jim! Thanks for the history lesson and the preview - AND for being one of the most active participants in our Listening Room Summer Festival.

My prediction - you're going to see people coming up with pieces featuring your beloved Euphonium, in the wake of all your great, inspiring threads!

I vote that as the calendar pages turn, this becomes The Listening Room Autumn Festival - and then The Listening Room Winter Festival - and then... Whadaya say?

The posting rate for music both new and old has certainly increased tremendously from what it was not very long ago.

NOW
    it would be great if we could increase the response rate correspondingly. There's a disparity between the rate people are starting threads and the rate at which they're responding to other people's work. If we could all get into listening and replying more often, the Festival would be that much greater! Put up a piece, respond to piece or two - that alone would zip things up.

Thanks again, Jim - and as always, I look forward to what you run by us next!

Randy

Randy...
    You have created a monster here! The forum will be cluttered with Snorposts as I work on stuff.

But this has inspired me, so thanks for that!

While I may not be the best composer or sound library mixmaster, I can bring some lesser-known
    stuff to the forum, be it live euphonium performance or Raymond Scott miniature masterpieces.

Now that I have to get back to work at the day job, the forum will be safe from Snorpieces for a while, but I am having a ball listening to everyone else's stuff & having my ears opened up real good.

I'm commenting as I can...even did some commenting EARRRRRLY this morning

Summerfest...Autumnfest...Octubafest...Winterfest. ..it's all good.

Snor
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Banned

Bring it!

Go Back to forum