• Register
  • Help

Topic: Today's hymn, BLAENWERN, organ = 100% GCPO

Share/Bookmark
    Banned

Today's hymn, BLAENWERN, organ = 100% GCPO

A three-verse setting of a lovely Welsh tune in triple meter, a very popular hymn setting in the UK where it is usually sung with Wesley's text, Love divine, all loves excelling.

The 'singers' are the Korg men and boys choir (SfZ) as this is the ideal voicing of my specialized following audience. This time the instrumentation is all GCPO, played out of Finale. In this arrangement, I tried to vary the textures quite a bit, and I saved the big drama for the bridge into the final verse, moving from a celeste-like tremulant in mostly 16'+8' voices (there is a 4' flute to make sure it didn't get too muddy)...then add big voices underneath and diapasons and bright voices above. Volume changes are done by using terraced dynamics - turning voices on and off only; no swell or crescendo pedals. My score is two braces - a Great and a Swell, each with their own instance of the Aria Player, each instance with a hand-picked GCPO ensemble of selected stops - all voice changes are done by using score expressions to change midi channels, thus simulating piston-activated changes. Harmonizations on vv 2 and 3 are original.

http://hymndescants.org/hymn-descants/blaenwern
    Last edited by passagio; 08-19-2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: poor command of my own native language.

Re: Today's hymn, BLAENWERN, organ = 100% GCPO

Wonderful! - Another Sunday morning in church with Passagio.

And like last time, it's nothing short of Very Remarkable how you're making the most out of the Garritan Classic Pipe Organ Library in its first release form, Passagio. I appreciate you giving us some notes about how you're working with PO in Finale, though I can't claim to understand how you manage to get all of this happening - I just really admire the way you've almost scientifically worked out how you can achieve much of what you want by going beyond what the Library can do simply "out of the box."

I'm looking forward to you getting your hands on the PO update which will feature a very clever way for the user to control and switch the stops. But meanwhile, I seriously doubt if anyone else is getting more, or even as much as you are out of PO version 1.

Was the organ still playing in the middle section, or was the choir a capella? With the big wash of cathedral reverb, I wasn't sure.

Great - Thank you very much, Passagio.

Randy

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post

Was the organ still playing in the middle section, or was the choir a capella? With the big wash of cathedral reverb, I wasn't sure.

The middle verse was TTBB a cappella, reminiscent of the Welsh tradition of the period when a pipe organ was uncommon in churches outside the Anglican communion. The congregation (or the men thereof) sang the hymns a cappella under the direction of a 'precentor,' which in that tradition was a music director who specialized in leading this kind of practice.

I'm still feeling my way around GCPO, but have definitely found a deep lode of material to work with. I really like the way the diminuendo came out in the bridge leading into the a cappella section.

Sounds great . There's something about the grandeur of the organ which I love to hear, and this captures it well.

The unfortunate thing about the organ in my opinion is the subtleties with the stops gets lost on the casual listener ('oh, it's just an organ') and hence are not appreciated... which leads to renderings (sample-based that is) just using a basic organ sound, especially when it's not out front in the recording, so thanks for going into the details.

Thanks for posting!
    -- Matt Wong

Clywaf dalwad O! Waredwr,
    I dy wasanaethu Di:
    Fendigedig Iesu, deuaf
    Ith ewyllys, plygaf i.
    Or rhyfeddod, Or llawenydd,
    Brynwr gwerthfawr rwyf yn rhydd,
    Bodlon yn Dy waith bob dydd.

Drwy fy mywyd, cwsg neu effro,
    Ddydd neu nos, O! ysbryd byw
    Rwyt arweinydd a diddanydd,
    Ti yw popeth im fy Nuw.

Teimlaf Di gerllaw yn fythol,
    Cerddi gyda mi bob cam,
    Yn ddiogel rwyt yn gwarchod,
    Cariad mwy na chariad mam.

Ti O! Grist, yw fy ngwaredwr,
    Aethost drosof fi Ir Groes,
    O! Fab Duw fy mhrynwr dedwydd,
    Feth addolaf hyd fy oes.

Well done!
    Snor (Rydw i'n siarad Cymraeg!)(well, sorta)

PS:
    Friends, you have not experienced everything life has to offer until you have heard a Welsh male choir.
    First person to send me an electronic pint of Guinness will receive a translation. Maybe.
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Hello passagio! Though Sunday is passed, I still enjoyed listening to this! Very well done, it sounds exactly as if I were in a great cathedral, say, I don't know, Westminster Abbey.

Great recording, thanks for sharing it!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Go Back to forum