• Register
  • Help

Topic: A walking song

Share/Bookmark

A walking song

Been trying to get this finished up for the summer festival...

I have a perhaps bad habit of writing what I've taken to calling 'walking songs', which are styled after the stereotypical game soundtrack background track, with a (mostly) consistent mood and rhythm, and designed to loop, though I use the term mostly because these tunes tend to come to me when I'm off on a hike and just start humming.

This one came to me back in the spring when I was out and about Jasper National Park (if Randy and MichaelM remember, at the time I was trying to help debug Autoharp issues from the hotel room without having the actual files in front of me... and apologies to Randy, I still haven't found the time to try it out yet!)... I think I was strolling down Maligne Canyon at the time. I'm not sure if the title still fits, but it was the name I stuck on it at the time.

Pipe instrument is the Low Irish Whistle from GWI
    Violin is from EW Gypsy
    Harp is the Chromatic Harp 2 from GPO
    Strings are a big mess and mixture from GPO, GIO and EWQLSO (with a mild bit of brass from GIO mixed in somewhere)

Updated 2012-08-29: https://www.box.com/s/9e1da255d1ddd9e0d27e

As always, everything is a work in progress, and comments/suggestions for improvement are welcome :P.

(Old version 2012-08-19: https://www.box.com/s/7260d31ec09e46c48887)
    -- Matt Wong

Banned

Re: A walking song

the low whistle adds that air of mysticism, a highly appropriate expression of awe in the presence of nature's creativity. I hope this is being written as a score - I wouldn't be surprised to hear this as a music track behind a film or video. Beautifully done.

I've had a very active day outside today.
    Your fine piece of music is helping me to unwind and relax as I prepare to retire for the evening.
    I shall close my eyes, create a scenario, and enjoy the scenery

Most enjoyable!!
    Snor
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Quote Originally Posted by Silh View Post
    ...This one came to me back in the spring when I was out and about Jasper National Park (if Randy and MichaelM remember, at the time I was trying to help debug Autoharp issues from the hotel room without having the actual files in front of me... and apologies to Randy, I still haven't found the time to try it out yet!)...
    Beautiful, Matt! In both the writing and recording. Cinematic indeed. Glad you came up with a mix to post while it's still the Summer Festival - but you know, soon enough it'll be the Autumn Festival, then the Winter Festival - just keep on posting!

Really though, enjoyed this very much.

I pulled out that quote because of course I do indeed remember when you, MichaelM and I were in the Garritan Chat, talking about Autoharp, and you were trying to figure some things out remotely from you laptop. That's the only time I've actually chatted in the Garritan Chat - I talked you guys's ears off! LOl. Not to worry about Autoharp though - It works as programmed for most people. I have no idea why some people have difficulties, but I'm content with how it works for most folks.

Thanks for the nice music.

Randy

Hello Silh, this style of music can be some of my most favorite from video games. It can be so difficult to create something that is nice to listen to on repeat for hours and hours while trying to find the last Golden Skulltula, but game composers have a knack for that, Koji Kondo always comes to mind for being great at this, but there are certainly others. This is quite serene, and certainly relaxing, I really enjoyed the mix and the composition. Thanks for sharing!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Very nice. Helped me to face an afternoon of boring business work.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Thanks for the comments guys.

I tweaked a few things which bugged me about the pipe and violin performances, and uploaded an updated version.

A few specific questions which came to mind though:

1) At 2:30 when the violin comes in, are the first few notes too different in tone from the rest of the phrase that it feels jarring? I've gotten that impression on a few listen-throughs, but not on others, and while I don't want it to sound identical to the next time the 4-note sequence plays about 10 seconds later, does it feel too dissimilar?

2) Violin portamentos. Eek! I sort of used them where I thought they'd sound alright, but well... I'm no violin player...

3) More expressiveness/vibrato on the low whistle in places? At times the violin seems to be too overwhelming in that regard. Then again, maybe it'd ruin the whole 'melancholy' idea... if it's even still there, hehe....
    -- Matt Wong

Go Back to forum