• Register
  • Help

Topic: equalizing-question

Share/Bookmark

equalizing-question

Hi all!
    I finally got some monitor-speakers and can begin the \"mixing work\" [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . I was wondering if it is common to use different eaqulisation position for one and the same track. For exemple : at the beginning the violin is piano (so you turn down the upper harmonics) und later it\'s fff - are you then using another regualtion (upper harmonics loud i.ex.) or do you try to find one position which makes sound good both of the dynamics? (I\'m using cubase vst)
    Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Markus.

Re: equalizing-question

A multiband compressor is great for doing \"loudness corrections\". You can increase the loudness of the highs and lows for quiet passages and on louder pieces have a more flat loudness curve. Multibands, like Waves C4 and LinMB, can be quite clever EQ devices, and not necessarily meant to be real \"compressors\".
    Subtle \"bottom-up\" compression, with different attack/release settings per band can be useful for orchestral music to give some more coherence, combined with EQ corrections.

I would not use EQ (or compression) on small sections, as you will probably introduce audible seams and unnatural sudden changes in sound.

I am just learning how to work with the C4 multiband compressor, but I believe you can set it up to do subtle \"bottom-up\" compression AND have some more serious compression on peaks AND have EQ-adjustments, all at the same time.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Markus S:
    Hi all!
    I finally got some monitor-speakers and can begin the \"mixing work\" [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . I was wondering if it is common to use different eaqulisation position for one and the same track. For exemple : at the beginning the violin is piano (so you turn down the upper harmonics) und later it\'s fff - are you then using another regualtion (upper harmonics loud i.ex.) or do you try to find one position which makes sound good both of the dynamics? (I\'m using cubase vst)
    Thank you in advance for sharing your knowledge [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Markus.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hi Markus,

With a live player\'s track, you\'d generally be making a mistake to use different EQ in different parts of the track. The need to do that would be odd, and would indicate something else potentially at fault.

However, with samples, you must often do things that would not be in the scope of normal engineering. In the case you describe, if two different EQ settings make the overall track better, you should not worry about what\'s \"right.\" With samples, whatever sounds right IS right.

Good luck.

Hi Peter and Bruce!
    Thanks that you took the time. So it depends on individual cases, and generally it\'s better to do this on large sections. I just decover the mix and I\'m very surprised how close it is to composing: Finding the sound of an instrument and the all over sound of ensembles that you are looking for. Very interesting!
    Markus.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Hi Markus,

Yes, mixing and audio engineering are arts unto themselves. It\'s easy to take the sound of commercial recorded products for granted until you start engineering your own work and realizing that there\'s so much to know.

Hi Brunce!

It\'s easy to take the sound of commercial recorded products for granted until you start engineering your own work and realizing that there\'s so much to know.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That\'s true. I never payed attention how instruments are recordes and mixed on my disks - just how it is composed - but now I listen to them in a new way. I take a recording of an insrtrument I like as exemple and try to recreate the sound with the samples - for the moment that seems very complicated to me [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .

Go Back to forum