• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Do Apple's G5's not work with any Audio Cards?!

Share/Bookmark

Do Apple\'s G5\'s not work with any Audio Cards?!

A friend of mine called sweetwater this week to order a new setup. His salesman is trying to talk him into buying a G4, because according to this salesman none of the new G5\'s will work with any of the audio cards on the market. This seems absurd to me since a huge portion of Apple\'s market is the audio industry. Does anyone know anything about this? The guy did say something along the lines of the new G5\'s only use a different type of PCI card that is 3volts or something... My friend is not super technically inclined so I\'m thinking he may have mis-understood some things. But if this is true and I can\'t order a G5 until it will work with my stuff, then I\'ve got to figure something else out because my 3 1/2 year old G4 is about to commit suicide on me!

Re: Do Apple\'s G5\'s not work with any Audio Cards?!

I wouldn\'t nessesarily trust the knowledge of sweetwater sales reps blindly...

well... doesn\'t that blow.... Does anyone know about the MOTU 2408mk III\'s?

Furst, did you mean to say you WOULD NOT trust, or you WOULD trust? Because I learned a LONG time ago NOT to trust pretty much any sales rep. That\'s why I come to Northern Sounds [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Your guy at sweetwater is a smuck.

There are plenty of 3v cards on the market.
    Most of digis current cards LOOK like they will work.

Point is, no one knows until they test it on a G5.
    Sounds like he is pushing a computer that they have in stock.

I like sweetwater. Nika is a pal and has done me solid many times.

Change your sweetwater guy. Ask for Nika. He has never pushed me into a piece of gear.
    He is going to let me in on the testing they will do with the new G5s as soon as they arrive.

I think a dual 2 ghz is in my future.

RME audio cards work with both the old/current 5V and new 3.3V PCI slots. I am successfully using an RME card in a Dell server 3.3V configuration. You can identify a card that supports both standards by looking at the PCI connector. It will have a large tab in the middle and two smaller tab connectors on each side. This link shows the connector: http://www.rme-audio.de/english/digi96/digi96pa.htm

Im not a Mac guy, but I heard and read some lit about a month back when they first release info on the G5\'s that the pci slot will be different and have a 66 megaherz throughput instead of the standard 33.
    Just make sure that your soundcard is compliant with that new pci standard , I cant remember the name , Im sure Mac knows if you call them.

Originally posted by J. Whaley:
    Furst, did you mean to say you WOULD NOT trust, or you WOULD trust? Because I learned a LONG time ago NOT to trust pretty much any sales rep. That\'s why I come to Northern Sounds [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Oops, yeah. I edited it. [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    I guess I\'ve cashed in all my stupid tokens for the day.

Be Careful,

My expereince is that the USB and firewire interfaces have a much higher latency with Giga than PCI interfaces. I know several people doing great work with their G5, unfortunately, I do not know what interfaces they use.

(hehe) I can tell you that I am very happy with my Sony Vaio P4, Sonar with Giga. Obviously, I am a PC guy, although I am considering using a G5 to work with Final Cut Pro for my video needs. Currently, I use Adobe Premiere and love it but there are many people in the industry that use Final Cut Pro so for compatability in collaborating, I am thinking about the addition of the G5.

Garius Hill
    Manhattan

Okay, I\'m bumping this back up because I have some new information - yet I don\'t have any info.

I wrote MOTU tech support to ask them. I finally got a reply which said \"we don\'t know but we\'ll know in 2 weeks\". Well call me an idealist, but shouldn\'t a tech dept know if their card is 5 volt or 3 volt? (talking about the MOTU 2408mkIII). So I pulled my card out to compare it to the picture of the RME card CS duke posted above - Well the 2408mkIII card is short and stubby and doesn\'t have the two slots. Does that mean it\'s not 3 volt? I think I may buy a remaining G4 and wait another year..... errrrrr. I hate apple almost as much as I love them...... errrrrrrr

Go Back to forum