• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Quiet Pop Tune

Share/Bookmark

Quiet Pop Tune Re-Mixed

Here's a piece I wrote for my wife a couple of years ago called: At Home With My Love

I put the chords in BiaB (Band in a Box) then created a midi file.
    I exported the Midi file to Sonar X1. My brother has been trying to teach me the intricacies of using a DAW to create realistic sounding recordings. All the instruments are Garritan except for the drum which is the Session Drummer plugin for Sonar X1.

The hard part was getting the balance, EQ the mix for each instrument, adding a little reverb and creating space for the instruments to 'live-in' as my brother calls it.

I'm beginning to understand the intricacies of doing this in a DAW now, but it is a steep learning curve.

Enjoy,
    Bill
    Last edited by wrayer; 08-26-2012 at 10:35 AM. Reason: remix version
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Re: Quiet Pop Tune

Hello Bill, this is wonderful! I don't typically do much commenting on the rendering, but it sounds as if you are picking things up well with this. The trumpet solos were just great, very well realized. I thought some of the saxophone accents sounded a little odd - as if the volume on the entire track was being adjusted, rather than the note itself. I would tell you how to fix it, but letting Finale do most of the work for me, I wouldn't know

Thanks for joining us in this festival, I really enjoyed the listen and hope your DAW explorations continue to go well!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Oops, I neglected to say, "I'm playing the trumpet" - it's not a sample.

Thanks sanyarem, for the nice comments. I'm a composer first and somewhere down the line I can use a DAW.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    Oops, I neglected to say, "I'm playing the trumpet" - it's not a sample.

Thanks sanyarem, for the nice comments. I'm a composer first and somewhere down the line I can use a DAW.

Bill
    Ah haha! Well, perhaps if I were a true sound engineer, I would have picked up on that . I blame DPDAN for his unnaturally natural sounding renderings.

Wonderful playing, then! It sounds like you have a nice recording studio, or at least a nice microphone, mind if I ask what you used?
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

First off, Hats off to you, Bill, for tackling the world of DAW software. It can be such a blast. You're fortunate to have your brother helping you with. With your background and music savvy, I think you'll start to feel it out nicely - Well, you're already doing that because this recording's sounding pretty good.

And what a nice piece - Love sure can bring out the best in us, eh whot?

I'm glad you updated the thread - I listened earlier, heard the live trumpet lead, and wasn't sure how to respond--hehe. I was going to say something like, "um,--I think you forgot to mention your trumpet playing there."

I thought the Sax sounded pretty good. I don't quite share Sanyarem's take on that. It could probably sound a bit more natural, but this was a lot better than the flat-line no-dynamics recordings we sometimes hear. Just be sure you're using MIDI Controller 1 or 11 for the instrument volume control, not 7 - that's just for setting the basic volume level.

Good work - More power to you as you keep plowing into your new software!

Randy

Thanks Randy, 'plowing into the software' is a good description. But like any job, once you begin doing it, the steps begin to make sense.

My next task is to remove the 'wrong' notes in the sax. BiaB does a nice job, but sometimes interprets the chords incorrectly. But, alas, that's not the problem of Sonar X1, it plays what you give it. I find it hard to give up the task of composing to software, so I always go in and 'fix it'.

Yes my brother has cautioned me about cc 7 as opposed to cc 1 or cc 11. But, at that time, he was speaking 'greek'. Now it's becoming more clear. (Richard, I said 'greek' not 'geek').

Best regards,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

...My next task is to remove the 'wrong' notes in the sax. BiaB does a nice job, but sometimes interprets the chords incorrectly. But, alas, that's not the problem of Sonar X1, it plays what you give it. I find it hard to give up the task of composing to software, so I always go in and 'fix it'...
    I have no BiaB experience, Bill, but it'd be great if someone who does could post some Tips in General Discussion or one of the technical forums. I only have a basic understanding of how it generates auto accompaniments in various styles.

You're using BiaB because you don't use a keyboard? If you have some basic keyboard skills, you would find it a more organic process, and more fun, to actually record in Sonar rather than just have it process what the 1st program puts together for you.

Your brother is probably covering the various work spaces in Sonar, like the Staff View and the Piano Roll View. I want to encourage you to get comfortable with the latter, because, as I often say, it really is the heart of MIDI editing in Sonar or any recording program.

I distinctly remember when I was first making the transition from a hardware sequencer to a computer, and how the PRV seemed goofy to me. It just seemed like a screen full of confusing blobs, and I even thought it looked like something designed for children or something. Well - then I went about learning it, and soon the big Eureka! light bulb went on in my head, and I got a handle on the PRV's logic. All the possible MIDI controllers are available for editing, notes from one or all tracks in a project can be displayed; the velocity, length, timing of every single note can be edited to perfection. In contrast, Staff View is very limited and stiff. You want to to learn the PRV until the natural logic of it connects in your head.

Wrong notes in the Sax - Good, a few notes seemed awkward. Those can easily be changed, just dragging them in the PRV, and getting instant aural feedback as you edit.

And so on.

Basically I'm saying that the less automated and more hands-on you get with your work in Sonar, the more artistically satisfying it's going to be for you, Bill.

Thanks again for the post.

Randy

Well, neither speak Greek or Geek (well, may a little geek if it's about music and music engineering) but I'm no pro and I learn by trial and error and a lot of listening and forum searching. Ears (as bad as mine are after years of marching band drums taking their toll) are the best interpreter of what sounds good and what doesn't.

PRV (piano roll view) is essential as Randy said. You can fix a lot of missed notes or wrong notes there but can also use every controller that is available in midi (as long as it is activated or available in Garritan samples and ARIA). These controllers can add utterly realistic renders of an instrument when used like spices in cooking ( a little goes a long way in many cases).

BTW, I too like your piece and a few others you have let me hear. Your DAW abilities are greatly improving.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    PRV (piano roll view) is essential as Randy said. You can fix a lot of missed notes or wrong notes there but can also use every controller that is available in midi (as long as it is activated or available in Garritan samples and ARIA). These controllers can add utterly realistic renders of an instrument when used like spices in cooking ( a little goes a long way in many cases).
    How about we just get together and you play the sax parts? I owe all my gained knowledge of this at times aggravating past time to you. Thanks for all your help and understanding.

Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    You're using BiaB because you don't use a keyboard? If you have some basic keyboard skills, you would find it a more organic process, and more fun, to actually record in Sonar rather than just have it process what the 1st program puts together for you.

Wrong notes in the Sax - Good, a few notes seemed awkward. Those can easily be changed, just dragging them in the PRV, and getting instant aural feedback as you edit.

Basically I'm saying that the less automated and more hands-on you get with your work in Sonar, the more artistically satisfying it's going to be for you, Bill.

Randy
    Thanks Randy, my Keyboard skills, though available are not at a level I wish or can attain. The uniqueness of a truly ad lib part can not be attained by composing. If I could afford to hire real musicians, alas and alack... oh well.

I have used the keyboard in the past, but it is a lengthy process. I have used the PRV to change notes and now that I have done that, it makes a whole lot more sense.

I will consider doing a dissertation on BiaB along with my brother about how we use BiaB to help create a composition. For others reading this, BiaB is Band in a Box. It provides an accompaniment media as if you had a band (Garage Band, some of you may be familiar with, is a similar program.) BiaB can also create solo ad lib parts. I have seen this program (BiaB) used on cruise ships where vocalists have a back-up band without having to hire on or carry extra equipment aboard a cruise ship.

I will move this part of the thread to a general discussion area.

Thanks Randy,
    Bill

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast