• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: WARNING - Windows XP Direct X 9

Share/Bookmark

WARNING - Windows XP Direct X 9

I\'ve been fighting with my Giga systems for the last two weeks, and I think I found the common denominator - Upgrading Direct X 9 through Windows update.

After running the update, GigaStudio no longer output audio or recognized MIDI, even using the mouse on the keyboard in GS. These two things are necessities for a well running GS! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

First, I tried removing all of the GS elements according to the Tascam directions, and then reinstalled. Nothing.

Then I did a clean install onto a new hard drive of XP, ran all the updates, and then installed GS. Same thing.

Then I put together a new computer, installed XP, then paused as I was adding updates, and remember the last things to add to the first computer. DirectX 9, which you can\'t uninstall. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

I updated everything except for DirectX 9, and bam! A finely tuned 160 voice GS machine.

Anyone else run into this? I lost a lot of time going through this, and just want to give people a head\'s up on it. I know most people run clean GS machines, but I\'m one of the lucky (crazy?) people that can run everything from one system (Sonar, tons of plugins, Sound Forge, Vegas, Internet, etc) and *usually* I like to update XP for security reasons.

Re: WARNING - Windows XP Direct X 9

But isn\'t directx9 necessary for sonar2.2??? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I\'m running DirectX 9.0b with no problems whatsoever. Everything\'s up-to-date (except the new update for Gigastudio, as I *really* don\'t want to update this since it\'s running smoothly) and I have no problems whatsoever. Yeah, trying to get Sonar 2 to install at first was a drag but that was a problem with Cakewalk (which is easily fixed).

Sorry to hear about it. DX 9.0b hasn\'t given me any problems.

No probs here either...

DirectX 9, which you can\'t uninstall.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Well, I would recommend running Norton Ghost, and always create an up-to-date image before installing anything, and I mean anything. Even the smallist little thing can crap out your system. That way you can restore back to the where you were before you added whatever.

I couldn\'t live without Ghost.

Lawrence

PS - I hate that Microsoft forces certain updates. For example, in order to get USB 2.0 support, you have to install the Service Pack. Well, the Service Pack causes problems for some users, but the very same users may also need USB 2.0 support.

Go figure.

You must mean upgrade to 9.0b, right? I\'ve been running XP Pro SP1 w/ DX 9.0a and GS 2.54 without any problems for quite some time. Haven\'t updated to 9.0b yet (not that I remember, anyway). I would say that disabling the Windows Update feature is an absolute necessity -- not only for performance, but for exactly the reason that you point out. When system stability is of utmost importance, the last thing you need is the OS doing you a \"favor\" and updating who-knows-what behind the scenes. Along with all the typical tweaks, I really strip my XP install down to the bare minimum. Here\'s a good site if you really want to go nuts, like me:

http://www.blackviper.com/

RE: norton ghost -- I agree 100%. Partition imaging is the only feasible way to save your butt. I can restore my system partition including all known working drivers, app settings, whatever in about 20 minutes. Very handy.

BTW, if you don\'t want to shell out $50 or so for ghost, you can get the same functionality for free with a Linux app called \"partimage\" (http://www.partimage.org). Here\'s the catch: you need to be comfortable with Linux/Unix to use the program (actually, just to start it). You boot from two floppies, then you\'re dropped into a linux shell. The root partition is loaded into memory from the floppies, so you don\'t have to install Linux itself on your hard drive. After that you\'ll do something like:

> keys us
    > mount -t vfat /dev/hda2 /mnt
    > partimage

At which point you\'re in a DOS-like character mode app. The \"/dev/hda2\" could represent, for example, the second partition on your first physical drive where you want drop the image of /dev/hda1, which is your C: partition. You can see how you need to be a little familiar with Linux/Unix to get things going, but it\'s really not a big deal, and there\'s lots of people out there who can help. My C: partition is about 1.5GB which compresses down nicely to a 700MB image using gzip compression (partimage can use no compression, gzip compression, or bzip compression).

- Keith

Well, I would recommend running Norton Ghost, and always create an up-to-date image before installing anything
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Don\'t forget XP sets restore points (unless you\'ve disabled it) and you can also manually create your own restore point before doing an update of any sort.

Don\'t forget XP sets restore points (unless you\'ve disabled it) and you can also manually create your own restore point before doing an update of any sort.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Hey Scott,
    can you please remind us how it works? Thanks!

Go to:

Start > Help > Pick a task > Tools > System restore (2nd option in top left panel list)

MS XP blurb:
    \"System Restore is a component of Windows XP Home Edition that you can use to restore your computer to a previous state, if a problem occurs, without losing your personal data files (such as Microsoft Word documents, browsing history, drawings, favorites, or e-mail). System Restore monitors changes to the system and some application files, and it automatically creates easily identified restore points. These restore points allow you to revert the system to a previous time. They are created daily and at the time of significant system events (such as when an application or driver is installed). You can also create and name your own restore points at any time.\"

Last time I had a screw up I used it. It shows a calendar and a list of restore points you can revert to. Worked like a miracle.

Cool, thanks Chadwick, I\'ll be on xp soon [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum