• Register
  • Help

Topic: How many instruments loaded at once?

Share/Bookmark

How many instruments loaded at once?

Hello!

I experience a strange (to me) problem with my GSt96. I can only load very few instruments at once, and when trying the next one my computer starts to access the system HD without end (my music computer is at hard work right now, it\'s been accessing the HD for 60 minutes).

I admit I have got only 96 Mega RAM, but does it make so much difference to 128? I thought the GS/GSt streams the sounds from HD and stores in RAM only the beginnings.

Just to show a practical example, let me tell you I loaded French Horn, Bassoon, Clarinet, Oboe, Flute, E.Horn, and Piccolo (all instruments Advanced Orchestra, Solo, Key XFD). Than I tried the Flute section and that was it..... When I load sections I get to the dead point much sooner. Is this normal?

I wonder how some people manage to do for instance The Rite of Spring, when even such a moderately instrumented piece like Bach\'s Orchestersuite Nr.4 needs 14 parts to be played.

I am going to buy more RAM tomorrow, that\'s not the point here. But if I add another 128 MB, will I be able to get at least those 14 instruments/sections loaded at once?

Is the number of instruments somehow directly proportional to the RAM amount? What do you guys manage? Or do I make something wrong?

Ondrej

P.S. Anybody heard of a Terrabyte memory chip?....

Re: How many instruments loaded at once?

Hi!

So now I am sure it has something to do with the Cache. When I moved it (in System/Performance/Virtual Memory) onto my other HD the GSt got stuck accessing that one instead of the system HD. I played with cache settings a bit and it improved a bit, I can load some 10 smaller instruments, but still can\'t manage to load all 4 memory saving versions of string section. Not even Barber, Adagio for strings, for me?

ondrej

Re: How many instruments loaded at once?

Well, I can tell you what I\'m working with at the moment, on a system with 384 meg - I\'m using Advanced Orchestra, and I have a performance with flute, oboe, clarinet, bassoon, trumpet, fr. horn, timpani, gigapiano light, violins, violas, celli, basses. All the AO instruments are using the \"KEY\" version. That takes up 72% of memory. I couldn\'t load this performance at all in 256 meg, but with 384 it works reasonably well. So the memory does matter (and at the moment I\'d rather buy some more memory than fiddle with removing samples and regions that I\'m not using...).

[This message has been edited by ursatz (edited 06-25-2000).]

Go Back to forum