• Register
  • Help

Topic: Septet no. 2 - Impressions on a Cool Evening

Share/Bookmark

Septet no. 2 - Impressions on a Cool Evening

Gentlemen,

here the Septet no. 2, op. 3a, Impressions on a Cool Evening.
    It is dedicated to Garritan's fellow Frank D'Erasmo who suggested me to write on the subject.

https://www.box.com/s/35298306acc4243e8dc6

A third one, Impressions on a Snowfall (another Frank D prompt), will follow.

I'm not that happy with the finale so... comments are welcome. As usual.

The rendering is all GPO except for the Double Bass that belongs to Notion LSO bundled library. Notion is the score-sequencer and the overall sound is provided by my now-esteemed CSR Hall Reverb preset.

Have a nice listening
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Re: Septet no. 2 - Impressions on a Cool Evening

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    ...Have a nice listening
    I certainly did have a nice listening - thank you, Fabio.

A cool evening - Yes, I could feel that as I let your delicate, fluttering sound gently wash over me. I think this is a very successful marriage of your personal senses expressing themselves through music - something writers can't always manage to accomplish.

I was taken by surprise at the end, when it resolved into the sustained major chord. That was just more concrete a resolution than I expected, not that it's "wrong," just took me by surprise since I thought perhaps the conclusion would be more suspended.

Nice work, Fabio - Thanks.

Randy

Hello Fabio! I found myself very interested in this piece. I kept wondering what was going to happen next. I wouldn't call it suspenseful in nature, but it was certainly engaging. I think the title fits very well. This is certainly has more of an abstract sound that simply gives an impression of the underlying idea.

I thought those open chords around 8 to 9 minutes in were an interesting shift in the music, and really helped setup slight build to the final chord. I'll admit I, too, was surprised by the final major chord, but I honestly didn't notice it until it had been sustained for a moment, and I enjoyed it for that

Thanks for sharing this great piece, I look forward to hearing the next one!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Banned

I love the morendo at the cadence. The birds make their final calls, the twilight wind calms, the last vestige of warm glow from the sky fades to blue....I was waiting for the crickets, which emerge in the cool of our August evenings here.

thoughtfully composed, and a delight to listen to.

Hi Fabio ...

I've been listening to and enjoying this piece for a while, but just getting around to let you know that! Had to find this on page two, so hopefully the bump will get a few others listening as well.

Gentlemen,

here the Septet no. 2, op. 3a, Impressions on a Cool Evening.
    It is dedicated to Garritan's fellow Frank D'Erasmo who suggested me to write on the subject.
    To quote SNL's Wayne Campbell: "I am not worthy; I am not worthy!" LOL.

Wow, Fabio, this was a fantastic, emotional listen for me ... you really outdid yourself with No. 2; just gorgeous music. So evocative; I just thoroughly enjoyed the listen (of course it's downloaded for future listens).

The biggest compliment I can pay a fellow musician is to let you know that as I listened, I was transported to the cool evening you wrote about; I wasn't listening to notes and instruments ... the whole was greater than the sum of all the parts.

This intimate orchestration works so well, and I loved the main theme, especially the bassoon's statements. Also, I thought the F-major ending was perfecto ... like the cool evening I became a part of.

Thank you, Fabio, for your kind and thoughtful dedication ... mille grazie.

https://www.box.com/s/35298306acc4243e8dc6

A third one, Impressions on a Snowfall (another Frank D prompt), will follow.

I'm not that happy with the finale so... comments are welcome. As usual.

The rendering is all GPO except for the Double Bass that belongs to Notion LSO bundled library. Notion is the score-sequencer and the overall sound is provided by my now-esteemed CSR Hall Reverb preset.

Have a nice listening
    A really nice ambiance, indeed ... just right. If I may, did you think the mix was a tad on the low side? I compared it to music I know is around -1db or so, and I needed to turn my speakers up a little to hear everything. Maybe others will feel it's just right.

The instruments all sounded great ... I can see (hear?) why you like your CSR reverb. Hmmmm ... hall setting ... it came across much more intimately. Always interesting how ambiance is created; not always what you would think.

Can't wait until the snows come and along with it (hopefully!) "
    Impressions on a Snowfall".

Regards,

Frank

"I am not worthy; I am not worthy!"
    Same here, Frank.
    Now people will expect so much more from me!

I can see (hear?) why you like your CSR reverb.
    You see (hear), it is the only one I own. So I work to squeeze out the most from it. It's a very good reverb indeed. Lots of knobs to grip. Doing it randomly while unconscious gives you the best results!

If I may, did you think the mix was a tad on the low side? I compared it to music I know is around -1db or so, and I needed to turn my speakers up a little to hear everything.
    Managing the low side of the mix is the weak side of the chain.
    I'm going to upgrade my monitoring system and just added some EQ plug-ins to my weaponry and, well, the room I work in maybe doesn't help.
    I halted working with large orchestras because I can't manage the sound the right way.
    Anyway, thank you for your words and comments, Frank.
    Ciao. Mille grazie, buon appetito, arrivederci!
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Thumbs up Re: Septet no. 2 - Impressions on a Cool Evening

Ahh, this is it. Nice ... very nice. Perfect!! Thanks Fabio ... Fantastic-o!
    Styxx

Go Back to forum