• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Marimba, anyone???

Share/Bookmark

Marimba, anyone???

I\'ve stumbled over a marimba player and thinking about sample some of his marimbas. Any suggestions or wishes on marimbasamples?

Re: Marimba, anyone???

I\'d love to see a good marimba library. Maybe room and close miked. Multi velocity ...etc

I\'d like to see a new Marimba lib. I have Ultimate Marimba and Vibes but it sounds a bit dead and lifeless to me. Also I don\'t think anyone has done a bass marimba and that\'s a beautiful sounding instrument.

Agreed about the multiple mic positions.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I really like Ultimate Marimba and Vibes...especially the marimbas.

Worra, make sure the Marimba is REALLY well maintained. You wouldn\'t believe the buzzes and rattles those things have.

Thanks Bruce. And vibes can be even noisier. I guess it is all the pedaling loosening everything up. Here are a couple of demos of the library from our site.

http://www.dssoundware.com/sounds/MARIMBAVIBES1.mp3

http://www.dssoundware.com/sounds/MARIMBAVIBES2.mp3

Sean

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

You\'re welcome Sean. UM&V is a killer library.

Honestly, guys, I don\'t think you want room/distant marimba recordings. Here\'s what distant marimba recordings sound like:

sssssssssssssss-note-ssssssssssssssssssss-note-sssssssssssssssssssssss-note-ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssss-note-ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssss

Sometimes engineering is the better solution. If you want more distance in the sound, use only one of the stereo channels, roll out a little high and low, and add a good room generator like TrueVerb. You will get exactly the same effect, only without the tons of hiss and noise you\'ll get mic\'ing these very quiet instruments past critical distance.

\"Real\" isn\'t always the best sounding thing.

I\'ll check out how many marimbas, different types etc. he can get his hands on.
    I probably try both close and ambient miking, multivelocity too.
    What about different types of mallets?

You beat me to it, Worra - I was going to request felt, rubber, plastic, maybe metal (but that might damage the tone bars.) Perhaps... bowed? (Works on vibes, don\'t know about wood.)

Dasher

Find a great sounding hall and record close and distant.. and many velocity layers. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

/Tobias

Hey Tob, isn\'t there a marimba in your town?
    I think it will be an unforgettable experience if you would record one. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Btw, is there something wrong with the Xsample marimba? Is there a huge market that\'s hungry for marimbas?

------------
    Alex Cremers

Go Back to forum