• Register
  • Help

Topic: One Stormy Night

Share/Bookmark

One Stormy Night

I wanted to post this piece before the Summer Listening Room Festival turns into the Fall Festival! The inspiration for this was the almost nightly pop-up thunderstorms in the Southeastern U.S. in those humid, summer evenings. They were usually really short and could occasionally happen a multiple times in one night. Quite different from the massive frontal storms that can be seen coming for miles in the Midwest

This is for a 14-person percussion ensemble. It features a few time-signatures, the most used of which are 6/8, 11/8 and 5/4. This was the last percussion ensemble I had written from start to finish prior to Layers (there was a 3 year gap in between each). All instruments are GPO, save the Vibraphone, which is just a soft synth sound.

Thanks for listening, I hope you continue to enjoy the Festival!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Re: One Stormy Night

You managed to create a nice balance between the ominousness of the sudden storm bursts, and the child-like pleasure we can have in hearing and watching the brief but demanding thunderstorms.

Fun stuff! --- a slight Oops at the end - the recording is chopped off.

Thanks for the energetic splash of music, Michael.

Randy

Michael, this is wonderful. I enjoyed every second of the performance. Nice visuals, too. Though I must admit, I was seeing lightening and rain swirling and dancing in the air and not notes. You will have to discuss how you got the visuals into your youtube video. Nicely done, sir!

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Hello Randy, I'm glad you liked it. You caught me with the recording. I've known about that chop-off at the end since I originally posted it a few years ago. I keep telling myself I'm going to go back and fix it, but just can't bring myself to do it. No real reason why, perhaps I may still do it yet!

Thanks, Bill, for listening! The video spews out hallucinogenics while listening that may induce visions of lightning. I am the only one to have mastered this technology, and though it could be used for the long-desired "smell-o-vision," I use it for my evil plot to have people listen to a youtube video of mine! I'm am not sure what ultimate benefit will come of this for me, but I can assure you it will be wholly evil.

I assume you meant the visuals of lightning, not the music? Just in case you meant the music, it was just done by taking screenshots in Finale then syncing them with the music in Windows Live Movie Maker.

Thanks again for listening!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Very beautiful composition and rendering, Michael.
    This Stormy Night nicely pairs my septets on daylight and cool evenings.
    I have a suggestion for you and me: writing a twin set on the four season subject for our favorite ensembles.
    So there will be enough material for Listening Room Festivals in every time of the year to come!
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

That is great!!!!!! Nicely done, modest, great rhythm, above all musical.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    Very beautiful composition and rendering, Michael.
    This Stormy Night nicely pairs my septets on daylight and cool evenings.
    I have a suggestion for you and me: writing a twin set on the four season subject for our favorite ensembles.
    So there will be enough material for Listening Room Festivals in every time of the year to come!
    Hello Fabio, thanks for listening, I'm glad you enjoyed it! I really like the idea of the four seasons. After this overly-hot and drought-stricken summer, I've been really looking forward to fall and winter. I may try to write something for the seasons, and I look forward to hearing what you will write/have written!

Raymond,

Thanks for your compliments, I'm glad you listened!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Micheal,
    after your music lighted up my imagination, first 24 bars of Summer are already lying on the pentagram.
    Some Fall ideas too.
    Winter and Spring are too far to come (actually).
    Glad you enjoyed the idea.
    This kind of "side-by-side-composing" is very challenging and inspiring.
    Hope to hear soon from your micro processed percussion players.
    Fabio
    Arrigo Beyle / Milanese / Lived, wrote, loved -- Stendhal
    Being Italian is a full-time job -- B. Severgnini

Oh my, Fabio, well... I can certainly say you are going to finish well before I do! I'm currently working on a quartet arrangement of a 10-player ensemble I wrote 5 years ago, which is proving to be quite challenging. Hopefully I will finish with that in a week or two and will be able to start on the seasons then. I am certainly keeping mental notes for Autumn, though! Thanks again for the idea!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Quote Originally Posted by sanyarem View Post
    Thanks, Bill, for listening! The video spews out hallucinogenics while listening that may induce visions of lightning. I am the only one to have mastered this technology, and though it could be used for the long-desired "smell-o-vision," I use it for my evil plot to have people listen to a youtube video of mine! I'm am not sure what ultimate benefit will come of this for me, but I can assure you it will be wholly evil.
    So, that's why I had a headache the next day... Mu ha ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by sanyarem View Post
    I assume you meant the visuals of lightning, not the music? Just in case you meant the music, it was just done by taking screenshots in Finale then syncing them with the music in Windows Live Movie Maker.
    Yes, indeed. I am a visual person and even the most academic piece of music conjures pictures in my minds eye. I was pretty sure you used some type of 'movie-maker' software and wondered if you did it in Sonar or some other DAW, but, the simplest answer is always (usually) the right answer, movie maker makes complete sense. I love the piece. You really should look into publishing it!

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Go Back to forum