• Register
  • Help

Topic: a question and a cue

a question and a cue

As there are so many working composers here I\'m sure I\'ll be able to get an idea of the best way to go about putting together a demo reel. My main question is, do you make separate demos for differing genres that would appeal to specific projects? (gaming, heavy vs romantic film, commercial jingle) Or is it ok to show all the flavors you are capable of on one demo? While showing off virtuosity seems important, I think some director/producer types could easily get \"confused\" by too a wide range of styles. I\'m guessing that your resonses will be a bit of both. Also, if it is one all around demo, what do you think the right length would be. Im guessing no more than five?

Thanks in advance for any opinions you may have.

This is a little demo I had fun with. A little Horner, Aliens listening jag was the influence. Atmospheric at the top but watch your speakers near the end. I almost collapsed an eardrum not paying attention yesterday.

as always, tips welcome

Thanks all

Re: a question and a cue

Hi Christian, I have listened to other composers demo reels and it seems best to be able to reflect your style(s) and versatility on one demo reel.

King has a good demo on his site that goes into hard rock pieces, all sorts of things;

So does Marsdy; http://www.gameaudio.com/showreel.mp3

Hopefully these guys don\'t mind me posting links to their reels [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I hear that the techno beat is very prominent in those reels. Is that genre standard in this industry now? Do I need to be good in techno to be successful?

Hi Christian,
    I like this one better than the Led Zep mock up [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Definetly can imagine nasty aliens creeping up behind you, watch now! [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] they are getting closer [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrggggggghhh...
    Christian ?! u there?

For a general showreel I would consider putting forward what other people or your clients etc. consider to be your best work especially if it has been used on TV, in a film or game and so on. What I consider to be my best work is usually totally different to my clients and friends idea! If you are pitching for a specific job then find as much you can about it and then target your pitch. There\'s no point in sending orchestral mock ups if they want nu metal with a Bolivian nose flute melody.

There are two ways to do a general showreel IMO. One is to just stick to what you are best at and really focus in on that. The other is to cover as many different styles as you are capable of. This is the jack of all trades, master of none approach which is what I do. I wouldn\'t get enough work to live if I didn\'t cover as much ground as possible, probably because for any given style there is someone who specializes and is better than me who will get the job. I find there is more work out there that requires diverse styles, at least that\'s how it seems here in the UK at the moment, espcially with computer games. Diversifying means orchestral mockups one day, nu metal with electronic beats the next and Playstation chip music the day after that. If I just did orchestral mock ups I\'d only be working for one of those three days. The situation may be different in your part of the world.

man I need to change that demo reel....its soooooooo old now hehee

Dave hit home with what he said IMO.

Although I plan on working on more demo music and revamping that ugly site. I\'ve jsut been busy with work, or resetting up the studio. However I will still havea \"general\" reel like the one above that will go through many different styles. There\'s too much \"generic\" electronic stuff in there now tho.

Thanks guys
    Scott: thanks for the links. I\'ve heard so many posts around here but not how artists put them together in a cohesive demo. Good templates

Sharm: 2 cd\'s? Does he charge for them? [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Guys gotta make a buck. Yes, I know it\'s too long for being on a demo. I put it together to accompany a video piece I\'m working on. Just wondering if the end cue was sufficiently oomphy. Apparently too oomphy! I think I fixed it.

Patrick: La grenoille qui saute. Thanks man. Yeah, we just barely managed to get the sucker out into the airlock. I gotta go and hose off all this secreted resin.

Marsdy: \"nu metal bolivian nose flute melody\" [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] I personally agree that a well rounded demo of all ones strengths is the way to go. If indeed one has any strengths. I myself am impressed by versatility, but as Sharmy said if you have the opportunity to make a demo for a specific gig it can\'t hurt to be relevant

King: I loved track three. Makes the headbanger in me smile. Make sure you keep that one! There is a certain swing piece missing \'tho.

thanks all

Go Back to forum