• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Harmony Central now has User Review site for samples

Share/Bookmark

Re: Harmony Central now has User Review site for samples

Finally a chance to tell it like it is about sample libraries! Good reading for all of us before and after the sale.

Originally posted by Munsie:
    Finally a chance to tell it like it is about sample libraries! Good reading for all of us before and after the sale.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yeah, the only problem is you often get reviews of hardware that some right chicken heads have written. The sort of people who have obviously turned on a synth, messed around with a few presets and dismissed it straight away based on their casual tinkerings after a few spliffs one night. The kind of people who would look at the shiny red-and-white glossy pattern on Starsky\'s car and not have a clue what sort of power lurks under the bonnet.

Hopefully, mostly thinkers with IQs in triple figures will contribute to the sample section.

Oh brother!

That\'s a shame...could\'ve been more useful like this forum is.

spectrum

I just wrote them suggesting that they no longer post reviews by people who cannot \'remember\' how much they paid for a sample cd or software. Let\'s hope other readers do the same!

Originally posted by Munsie:
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">This is by far and away THE best place I\'ve ever seen to get a feel for what a library is about. Most other forums seem so schizophrenic and volatile. For example, I happened upon a discussion on another forum recently where someone was spitting at Spectrum\'s customer service and it didn\'t seem to occur to the guy that Eric was right there, taking a lot of care to write huge replies.

Anyway Munsie, we have you to tell it like it is [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] .

Hey Ned, I think JonP\'s right about the chicken head ratio but let\'s not lose our heads. I can\'t remember what I paid for any of my libraries - in fact, outside of my car, I can never remember what I paid for anything (and even the price of my car is beginning to fade - but it wasn\'t pirated). I don\'t believe that the \'exact\' amount someone paid is it all relevant, unless they\'re directing one to a good deal.

If you guys keep checking that site out though and post the most entertaining tidbits here, it wouldn\'t go amiss. I like a good laugh.

In my opinion, I have found far to much disparity in reviews on that kind of user page. It may be my suspicious nature, but it always seems to me that the positive reviews are a bit too blown out of proportion and the cons a bit too vitriolic. It\'s far too easy for the companies themselves to have friends, associates or acquaintances (lets not mention employess) stack the deck in their favor which just leads to the opposition knocking them down a few notches with their own group of anonymous posters. See... suspicious by nature! Also, the fact that five ten star reviews of can be brought down to an eightish by one disgruntled \"0\" (pun intended) doesn\'t sit right with me. Sounds a lot like the composer vote on this very forum. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    I may be a bit naive, as I know that magazines can be biased with huge advertising revenues at stake, but I feel that there are a handful of trustworthy mags out there that I always like to refer to in these cases. I would be curious if anyone here puts any stock into \"Soundonsound\" as that\'s my fave for this type of tech review.
    And lets not forget our own homegrown reviewer who, if he weren\'t so damn busy with his game music would be slamming out trustworthy after trustworthy review. Hi Sam. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

just my two Canadian cents worth
    at todays exchange rate that\'s 1.338 cents American

Thanks Everyone for the kind words [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . It\'s comments like these that encourage us to keep this site up. We are truly honored to be part of this growing community. The information, and caliber of intelligence that frequents this site leaves us with a loss for words. We are still in shock. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] We had no idea that this forum has contributed to so many friendships, collaborations and success.

Thanks again to everyone we appreciate you being here. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Originally posted by PaPa Chalk:
    Thanks Everyone for the kind words [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">As a matter of fact, I edited my post because it contained some direct references to the standard of moderation here - my head became filled with accusations of arse-smooching and I took fright. But on second thoughts: This site is more than a community, it has provided a context for new business models and a wealth of innovation, and provided me with laughs aplenty. Customer service among the developers who frequent this forum is often stupendous, and a lot of the advice freely offered by users is quite priceless: and I am floored by much of the music people post, although I don\'t always mention it (I don\'t want Aaron to get a big head [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] ). More than all of that; I have met true friends.

The way it is run cannot be underestimated. I once worked on a site where I was supposed to write articles and moderate user posts. I found my colleagues (gits) censoring my \'work\' at every turn to please one-hundredth of a percent of users (the angry brigade).

Your philosophy of banning percussionists from Memphis while giving everyone else a wide berth seems just the ticket. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Keep up the good work: I\'m off to Harmony-Central to like, you know, like totally let the people know and whatnot about these sounds I got on Kazaa for like, nuthin. They\'re freakin the coolest. Then I\'m off to Donnie\'s place to plant some smilies in [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] the tumbleweed. (I really like that winkie.)

Z6,

Been to In-and-Out lately?

You know I watch this board and make it point not to post but this is
    just plain ridiculous. I\'ll tell you right now that I am from Memphis
    and I am sick of you coming on here with your little \"southern\" jokes.
    I am on here as my REAL name (as most on here are) and not hiding like
    a child behind a phony screen name. What is your problem with Memphis
    and the south? Do you think you are better than everyone else?

Doesn\'t anyone think it\'s strange that every one of Z6\'s posts is
    either something about Donnie, Memphis, or a political argument. I
    urge everyone to click on this name and pull up his previous post\'s and
    you\'ll see what I mean. Can you say agenda???? So what\'s purpose?
    Why is this guy allowed to break the rules when other\'s are not?

Grow up or at least be man enough not hide behind a silly little screen
    name. I\'ll bet all the money in the world you wouldn\'t have the guts
    to go up to Donnie and say anything to his face now would you????

Phillip

Go Back to forum