• Register
  • Help

Topic: Original GPO playable on brand new Mac OS?

Share/Bookmark

Original GPO playable on brand new Mac OS?

Question related to a previous thread "The original GPO revives?":

My favorite strings are what came in the original GPO, and now that I'm in process of starting fresh with new versions of everything and however many generations on of (Mac) OS, I'm wondering if those old beloved strings are history, which in my opinion would be tragic.

I understand they would only be playable with a Kontakt player, but my question is can they be used at all on newer Mac OS's?

Loved that original library so much and if there's a way I'd be willing to go to great lengths to keep it in use.

Thanks

Re: Original GPO playable on brand new Mac OS?

Quote Originally Posted by pgurnee View Post
    Question related to a previous thread "The original GPO revives?":

My favorite strings are what came in the original GPO, and now that I'm in process of starting fresh with new versions of everything and however many generations on of (Mac) OS, I'm wondering if those old beloved strings are history, which in my opinion would be tragic.

I understand they would only be playable with a Kontakt player, but my question is can they be used at all on newer Mac OS's?

Loved that original library so much and if there's a way I'd be willing to go to great lengths to keep it in use.

Thanks
    Hi, pgurnee - I think maybe you're referring to the Garritan Orchestra Strings - GOS? The strings in the original Garritan Personal Orchestra, GPO, are the same as they are in the current GPO.

If the older Kontakt Player and original GPO are compatible on the Mac, I'll need to defer to a Mac user. I think it would work, but I don't know from experience.

Randy

Somewhere along the line I got the idea that the strings in the original version of GPO were tweaked (by popular demand) in a subsequent version

I even seem to remember discussions about it here, but this would be going back quite a way Wouldn't be the first time I was confused about something

Will take that as good news at any rate

Thanks much, will likely pepper you with further questions as I try to get rolling

The attacks on the strings were changed from the original GPO. Many users wanted harder attacks. I personally preferred the attacks in the original GPO especially on the higher notes. I could never get back to the original sound of the strings when loading in pieces into the newer GPO versions that were recorded with the first one.

I think the attacks were dialed down a bit in the GPO 4 release to be closer to the original GPO.

Jim

Go Back to forum