• Register
  • Help

Topic: 2007 - Garritan Orchestration Challenge #11

Share/Bookmark

2007 - Garritan Orchestration Challenge #11

For the festival-My Orchestration Challenge #11 winner.

Before many of you were members of the Forum, the Garritan Community had an on-going event over in General Discussion: The Garritan Orchestration Challenge.

Sean Hannifin, a long time Forum member, used to host the event, and the admins would provide a voting app for the contests.

The concept was simple. A short theme would be posted, and whoever wanted to join in would orchestrate the theme using whatever Garritan instruments they wanted. The entries were posted anonymously, then we'd all vote on the one we liked most.

As it says on Sean's site archiving the Challenges:

"The winner of the Challenge wins nothing, except the acclaim of the forum, and the honour of setting the next Challenge.The winner of the Challenge wins nothing, except the acclaim of the forum, and the honour of setting the next Challenge."

A lot of us had a great time with this, and it was fun for me when I ended up winning 3 rounds before the Challenge event just kind of pooped out and it was discontinued.

Here's my first winning entry, from 3/19/07. The theme was posted by Challenge #10 winner, Forum stalwart, Bill "Wrayer." Here's Sean's archived page that has Bill's theme posted both in notation and as a MIDI file, along with all of the submitted pieces:

Challenge #11 Archive

The links are still active if you'd like to download and listen to the 6 entries.

And here's a direct link to my entry:*

My piece based on Bill's theme

Sean Hannifin's Orchestration Challenge archive was last updated Dec 17, 2008, so the last few rounds were never put up - but at least he's maintained that page:

The Garritan Orchestration Challenge Archives

Fun stuff!

Randy
    * link corrected

Re: 2007 - Garritan Orchestration Challenge #11

Hello Randy! It is very interesting that you posted this today. I was just thinking about the challenge over the weekend and how much fun it was to participate in and listen to! This was great, you did a wonderful job, as always, with the original melody. Lots of motion, and nice sustains sprinkled throughout. I really enjoyed listening, thanks for bringing this one back! Perhaps some others will be inspired to strike up the challenge again
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

sooo, are we planning on starting this up again? I hope, I hope, I hope!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Here's my first winning entry, from 3/19/07. The theme was posted by Challenge #10 winner, Forum stalwart, Bill "Wrayer." Here's Sean's archived page that has Bill's theme posted both in notation and as a MIDI file, along with all of the submitted pieces:

Challenge #11 Archive

The links are still active if you'd like to download and listen to the 6 entries.

And here's a direct link to my entry:*

My piece based on Bill's theme

* link corrected
    Well, since I am the 'guilty party' for this beautiful entry, I felt I should say something. These challenges of which I participated in 14, were a lot of fun and exciting especially to see how differently a simple little idea could be presented. If you haven't listen to any of these, please visit the link Randy has proffered. As RichR has stated, it would be nice to see this feature back for it did involve a lot of this community in a fun activity.

Thanks for the post, Randy.

Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

It's great to see some old Forum regulars waxing nostalgic for the Garritan Orchestration Challenges.

Since the time when the event fizzled out, we've brought the topic up a few times in General Discussion, but we've never gotten around two big obstacles: Sean doesn't seem to be around anymore. He did such a great job of hosting the event. OK, we could set up a new site like the one Sean had going, but it would still call for a time commitment and dedication from a volunteer.

The bigger problem is that those of us who are regulars have no way to put together a polling thread. That calls for special Forum tools that none of us have access to. The avatar image utility has been broken for years - an example of how there's very little assistance anymore in maintaining the Forum, and nobody with admin powers coming by often enough to set up special items like voting threads. That could probably be fixed up - but again it calls for time and effort, AND for a sufficient show of interest from Forum members.

Michael "Sanyarem" - Thanks for listening again - wow, hard to believe this particular piece is 5 years old now! When I dug it up, I hadn't listened to it in years - I'm happy enough with it, though of course all of us are particularly critical of our own work when we re-visit old things.

RichR - You know, I rather counted on you to be one of the people most enthusiastic about reviving the Challenges. You've always voted for us doing this again. When I posted this Challenge #11 piece for the Festival, I wasn't thinking necessarily of promoting the idea of getting the Challenges going again, but I'm glad that it's bringing that idea up!

And there's the "guilty party" himself - You're so right, Bill, we did indeed have a lot of fun with this. SO, despite the difficulties involved, as mentioned above, maybe we can somehow get it all going again.

Thanks guys for the enthusiasm!

Randy

Ah, I loved these challenges! It's nice to see them remembered with fondness.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin View Post
    Ah, I loved these challenges! It's nice to see them remembered with fondness.
    omigosh! I swear I just had a Sean Hannifin sighting!

Randy

Go Back to forum