• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: some calculations about VSL and EWQLSO

Share/Bookmark

some calculations about VSL and EWQLSO

a friend of mine just received his VSL Cube + Performance Set! He told me, that he needed several hours for copying the dvd\'s to hd. so i asked him how much it was. He told me that it\'s about 97GB. I tried to remember how much QLSO is.... i read somewhere that it\'s about 65GB.

Then i did some calculations....

QLSO: 65GB = 65000000kB

44100kHz*24Bits*6(3 Stereopairs) / 8 Bits(=1 Byte) = 793,8 kB/s

65000000 / 793,8 = 81.884,6 seconds of Samples

VSL: 97GB = 97000000kB

44100kHz*16Bits*2(1 Stereopair) / 8 Bits(=1 Byte) = 176,4 kB/s

97000 / 176,4 = 549.886,6 seconds of Samples

this means that QLSO is 14,89% of VSL .......

Whatever this might mean......?

Re: some calculations about VSL and EWQLSO

it means you have too much time on your hands [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

hehee

Originally posted by rainae:
    a friend of mine just received his VSL Cube + Performance Set! He told me, that he needed several hours for copying the dvd\'s to hd. so i asked him how much it was. He told me that it\'s about 97GB. I tried to remember how much QLSO is.... i read somewhere that it\'s about 65GB.

Then i did some calculations....

QLSO: 65GB = 65000000kB

44100kHz*24Bits*6(3 Stereopairs) / 8 Bits(=1 Byte) = 793,8 kB/s

65000000 / 793,8 = 81.884,6 seconds of Samples

VSL: 97GB = 97000000kB

44100kHz*16Bits*2(1 Stereopair) / 8 Bits(=1 Byte) = 176,4 kB/s

97000 / 176,4 = 549.886,6 seconds of Samples

this means that QLSO is 14,89% of VSL .......

Whatever this might mean......?
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">65GB = 68157440KB, not 65000000

and

97GB = 101711872KB, not 97000000

@vaultcomplex

i know!!! i\'m studying informatics...but you should read, what all those hd-manufacturers write on their harddiscs!!!

\"A gigabyte (GB) means 1,000,000,000 bytes. Total accessible capacity varies depending on operating environments......\" cited from Maxtor External storage 5000XT.

I haven\'t invented this kind of calculations, but i\'m just adapting myself.

Originally posted by rainae:
    @vaultcomplex

i know!!! i\'m studying informatics...but you should read, what all those hd-manufacturers write on their harddiscs!!!

\"A gigabyte (GB) means 1,000,000,000 bytes. Total accessible capacity varies depending on operating environments......\" cited from Maxtor External storage 5000XT.

I haven\'t invented this kind of calculations, but i\'m just adapting myself.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Yes they are presenting those \"ficticious\" calculations for marketing purposes. You were actually trying to find out the exact amount of seconds of samples on each library, which are incorrect because you forgot to multiply by 1024 instead of 1000.

The libraries are totally different beasts and comparing the samples numbers and sizes is not going to tell you anything. The sound quality and usefullness of samples is the best way to judge these libraries. Also with QLSO, those numbers include the 3 mic positions and 24 bit recordings. What it means is a more managable library with stunning sound quality.
    Don\'t get me wrong now, VSL is very cool and if there was no QLSO in existence, that would be my main library for everything. Now however, I am getting quite spoiled by the sound quality of QLSO.
    The main point is that you would really do a huge disservice to QL if you try and judge it by the hard drive footprint.
    For what its worth...
    Dave

Originally posted by David Govett:
    The libraries are totally different beasts and comparing the samples numbers and sizes is not going to tell you anything. The sound quality and usefullness of samples is the best way to judge these libraries. Also with QLSO, those numbers include the 3 mic positions and 24 bit recordings. What it means is a more managable library with stunning sound quality.
    Don\'t get me wrong now, VSL is very cool and if there was no QLSO in existence, that would be my main library for everything. Now however, I am getting quite spoiled by the sound quality of QLSO.
    The main point is that you would really do a huge disservice to QL if you try and judge it by the hard drive footprint.
    For what its worth...
    Dave
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Surely you realize we are just joking around and are bored.

Remember, size isn\'t everything! Although certain spam emails I receive claim it is!!

to Dave
    \"if there was no QLSO in existence, that would be my main library for everything. Now however, I am getting quite spoiled by the sound quality of QLSO. \"

??
    It would appear you are the only one! Have you secretly devoloped some sort of time warping mechanism? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    If you have, I\'d like to zip over to... oh say... 2015 to see what libraries will be around. If you\'re there, pick me up one of those new two petabyte external microwave drives and see if Logic has a new manual yet?
    Thanks

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

christainb

Originally posted by christianb:
    It would appear you are the only one! Have you secretly devoloped some sort of time warping mechanism? [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You beat me to the punch.

I\'m soiling my pants already because of the über turbo-charged sample libraries available in 2015. My god, aren\'t we all spoiled today! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum