• Register
  • Help

Topic: VSL Woodwinds in performance set

Share/Bookmark

VSL Woodwinds in performance set

If I decide to get just the woodwinds (and obligatory brass) from VSL, will I be okay without the performance set. As I understand it, the legato stuff would be most useful for strings. Does it affect winds much? I also know it includes runs. But as I don\'t think I\'ll get VSL strings (yet), I don\'t really think I want or need the performance set.

Any thoughts.

Re: VSL Woodwinds in performance set

The performance stuff is especially good for the WINDS - more so than the strings IMHO. Winds+brass benefit the most from it.

Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    The performance stuff is especially good for the WINDS - more so than the strings IMHO. Winds+brass benefit the most from it.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Really? Crap. I just can\'t afford that much. Hmmm. What to do? What to do?

Is it the other features that benefit brass and strings? Or does the legato apply well to them as well?

I didn\'t say it didn\'t work well on strings... I just meant I think it ads the most realism to winds+brass

Originally posted by Simon Ravn:
    I didn\'t say it didn\'t work well on strings... I just meant I think it ads the most realism to winds+brass
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No, I understood. Sorry. I\'m just trying to figure out a way to get realistic woodwinds. VSL seems the best.

I\'ve decided on Garritan Strings to start with because I just can\'t pass up the deal with the Giga bundle. Then I thought I\'d get VSL winds and brass. That\'s put me at around $2400. My starting budget was 2k. So I\'m already overshooting it. Then, this winter, I\'ll add percussion of some sort and go from there.

Hey Folk,

Simon\'s dead on with the legato-winds comment - especially the clarinet (unbelievably playable - right out of the freaking box-o-rama!!!!) Good luck on your decision. The esemble p trumpets (3) is also quite \'regal\' sounding.

Rob

Yeah!
    VSL performance woodwinds rock!!!!

But, oboe, oboe, oboe, oboe oboe............

Hey, guys, I\'m wondering if maybe I could use the Performance set with one computer running both the sequencer and gigastudio with 2.4 ghz, 1gb RAM, Win xp? I NEED those woodwind sounds!

Sorry for going a little off topic here. I just didn\'t want to make a whole new topic for a simple little question like this. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

To Greatzed

Yes, you can. But, remember that Performance sounds are really big ram-eater.

Alright, maybe I should up the ram a little. Thanks!

Go Back to forum