• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Know any good singers?

Share/Bookmark

Know any good singers?

I really need to up the quality on the demos for my current musical project. I've tried doing my own vocal demo of the lead's first song, but it just doesn't work.

So, I'm looking for an extremely difficult-to-find commodity - a good singer, with a good microphone, a good recording program, who is looking for the chance at getting exposure rather than cash.

--Yeah, it's really almost impossible. And yet, I ask here in case someone has a lead.

I've tried this before, to use singers I've found online. One time it worked out fairly well, but all the other times - horror stories - people not wanting to stick to the notes, wailing away improv style - resulting in unusable recordings.

I would provide a scratch vocal recording, an instrumental track of the same material, and a vocal score. They'd need to do a decent recording that I would then mix with the instrumental track.

If you have any possible leads, lemme know, either on this thread or via PMs.

OH--What I'm looking for - Male, Lyric Baritone - ala the modern style of Broadway leading men. You know, solid baritone range but also strong on the high range reaching into tenor territory. Big, masculine, clear, dramatic.

Right, I'm only hoping for the moon!

Randy

Re: Know any good singers?

For a moment there ...

But my wife can sing, not baritone and not male.
    Operatic mezzo-soprano suitable for Puccini, Verdi and the like.
    Timbre somewhere between Mirella Freni and Janet Baker. (Not quite of that class though!)
    I could be a little biased here too.
    I have a Studio Projects B1 condenser mic. an E-MU 1616m audio card + interface.
    into Sonar 7.

But a baritone is what you're after.
    My wife's voice is more suited to live performance on stage without a microphone though.

Something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qul0b3e631k the one Susanne often uses for the encore!

John.

Quote Originally Posted by SysExJohn View Post
    For a moment there ...But my wife can sing, not baritone and not male. Operatic mezzo-soprano suitable for Puccini, Verdi and the like...
    John! Thanks for the reminder that your wife is an operatic mezzo! - At present I'm looking to upgrade the vocal demo for the male lead, BUT...!

This is a work in progress, with less than half of the show's numbers written yet. There's a very interesting female character who will have two solos. She's a very dramatic, mentally unbalanced character, and it might work very nicely to have her be an operatic mezzo---. I like the idea very much. I need the score to have a good variety to it, and the idea of having this character's songs be at least semi-operatic is inspiring to me.

SO - thanks for getting my gears going! Progress has been slow on this project, so there's no telling when I'd have something for your wife to try out, but I'll be contacting you when I have something - Maybe we can all work together!

It is difficult to record a full-voiced, trained singer - But your studio is certainly equipped to tackle the task. You've recorded her before, I believe - With a slight adjustment to her technique, a pulling back without tone suffering, I'm sure she could make it work.

Great! -

Meanwhile, a male Forum member who sings has contacted me by PM, and we're in the process of trying some things out.

I could use quite a few singers actually, so if anyone else wants to volunteer, or has a lead on a singer - please keep the ideas coming!

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    John! Thanks for the reminder that your wife is an operatic mezzo! - At present I'm looking to upgrade the vocal demo for the male lead, BUT...!

This is a work in progress, with less than half of the show's numbers written yet. There's a very interesting female character who will have two solos. She's a very dramatic, mentally unbalanced character, and it might work very nicely to have her be an operatic mezzo---. I like the idea very much. I need the score to have a good variety to it, and the idea of having this character's songs be at least semi-operatic is inspiring to me.

SO - thanks for getting my gears going! Progress has been slow on this project, so there's no telling when I'd have something for your wife to try out, but I'll be contacting you when I have something - Maybe we can all work together!
    Please let me know. We'll see what transpires. Don't forget we live on the mainland continent of Europe, not far from Bonn. So personal appearances in the US of A are ... challenging.

It is difficult to record a full-voiced, trained singer - But your studio is certainly equipped to tackle the task. You've recorded her before, I believe - With a slight adjustment to her technique, a pulling back without tone suffering, I'm sure she could make it work.
    It certainly is difficult! I usually have the mic about a foot or more away and at upper chest level and tell her to sing over the mic not down at it. I have to watch levels very carefully otherwise a full fortissimo melts the mic cables! That last phrase in the Rusalka pushes the meters way over towards the red.

Great! -

Meanwhile, a male Forum member who sings has contacted me by PM, and we're in the process of trying some things out.
    That's cool!
    We took a call later today for another engagement that may take a big chunk of her time in the very near future.
    We'll find out more on Friday evening.

I could use quite a few singers actually, so if anyone else wants to volunteer, or has a lead on a singer - please keep the ideas coming!

Randy
    Hope you find what you're looking for.
    Kind regards,
    John.

...Don't forget we live on the mainland continent of Europe, not far from Bonn. So personal appearances in the

US of A are ... challenging
    Right - I'm just talking about producing demos of songs for a new show I'm working on. I'd find singers here in town, but I have no practical way to record them.

It certainly is difficult! I usually have the mic about a foot or more away and at upper chest level and tell her to sing over the mic not down at it. I have to watch levels very carefully otherwise a full fortissimo melts the mic cables! That last phrase in the Rusalka pushes the meters way over towards the red.
    Oh my yes, at Least a foot away, and definitely singing over the mic. Sounds like you know what you're doing, riding the gains. It can be done, just tricky!
    We took a call later today for another engagement that may take a big chunk of her time in the very near future.
    We'll find out more on Friday evening.
    I wish her the best on that. Any songs I'd like her to try are quite some time down the line - they're not even started yet. It would be quite a few months probably.

Thanks for the messages!

Randy

Uhmmmm, I'm a baritone that can hit a few tenor notes once in awhile. Would that work for you? I've been in a couple of local musicals (I played the Cowardly Lion in Wizard of Oz a few years back) but when you have kids it's really hard to do them as often as one would like... So if that helps...
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Manthe View Post
    Uhmmmm, I'm a baritone that can hit a few tenor notes once in awhile. Would that work for you? I've been in a couple of local musicals (I played the Cowardly Lion in Wizard of Oz a few years back) but when you have kids it's really hard to do them as often as one would like... So if that helps...
    Hi, Mitch! Thanks for your post - I'm going to shoot you a PM, so be on the look out for that.

Randy

Hi Randy,

I wish I could help you, but as you already know, securing pro-level singers for gratis is a fleeting and lucky occurance.

All the ones I was able to use on a past musical have all gone on to become 'working musicians'. Some still offer to help out, but it becomes such an iffy proposition with loads of cancellations, I try and just cultivate the next batch when I see someone who may fit the profile. It's a never ending thing.

Good luck with this and I'll let you know if I run into a baritone (it IS a Blue Moon tonight!)

Frank

Hello Randy,

Unfortunately I'm not able to offer any help on finding your singer but can empathise with you.

Throughout my career, whenever producing shows or concerts or finding performers for my any of my works or even accompanists for my students, finding suitable, reliable musicians has been a headache. I am also talking about paid musicians here too.

Looking on the positive side, someone always turned up, often after a huge amount of searching or advertising so I'm sure you'll find just the right performer.

Best of luck with this.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Thanks for the replies, Frank and Michael - and HEY Mitch, I sent you materials via email yesterday - hope they arrived.

I'm not expecting to produce release quality recordings of my new show, I just want to demo the song in an acceptable way. You guys have heard my gender-blind "Tom Sawyer" demos, with me warbling on all the tracks. Those are good enough, and I could squeak by again for this new show - It's just that I sang the lead's first solo, and I was especially unhappy with the results. It just calls for more power and a better range than I have.

Trying to up the quality on these demos, within reason. We'll see - Things are looking up!

Randy

Go Back to forum