• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Tech Problems With This Forum

Share/Bookmark

Tech Problems With This Forum

All,

I am having many technical problems with this forum.

It requires forever and four days for anything to happen when I click on any link! Most of the time I get an error message to the effect of "...not able to connect to that link...".

About thirty minutes were required for me to finally be able to post this message!

I have no such problems with any other website.

Does anyone have any answers or solutions. I would appreciate your help.

Thanks in advance.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: Tech Problems With This Forum

It's such a drag, the problems you're talking about. During various periods, many, maybe most of us have at one time or the other gone through the same thing with pages taking forever to load, making it impossible to participate.

Here's the most recent thread on this topic:

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...ght=slow+forum

A lot of extra things are loading each time you click to open a page, a post - The worst culprit is classactsports.com, as mentioned on the thread above.

I always feel like I fix things up out of pure dumb luck - I really don't know what I'm doing. I don't ever want to just turn scripts off, too many sites wouldn't display properly without them - Hopefully somebody who can help you out more specifically will respond here Mr. Larry.

Randy

I hope that this message gets through. I am still having problems with all aspects of this forum.

Thank you for the info, Mister Randy.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    I hope that this message gets through. I am still having problems with all aspects of this forum.

Thank you for the info, Mister Randy.

Regards,
    Your message came through - You need to start blocking sites, starting with that classactsports.com mentioned earlier. If you need instructions on how to do that with your browser, Google will have to be your friend on that. I get all flummoxed when it comes to these kinds of issues.

Randy

Larry, what browser are you using? Have you tried a different browser to get on the forum? Is your browser up to date?
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

I have tried Chrome, Internet Explorer, Mozilla and Opera. All of them produce the same bad results. The fault obviously lies with this forum itself.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    I have tried Chrome, Internet Explorer, Mozilla and Opera. All of them produce the same bad results. The fault obviously lies with this forum itself.

Regards,
    That's right, Larry, the problem is definitely the Forum itself. You need to find out how to block sites - If you haven't blocked classactsports.com yet, you'll continue to have those problems. I sympathize, I've had the exact thing happen - and it was Forum members who helped me get it worked out. Wish I could step through things with you, but I'm all thumbs with this stuff - I'm not sure what to do - except I Do know you have to block classactsports.com.

Randy

Hello Larry, I hope you are able to solve the issue!

I noticed you mentioned Chrome first, maybe because it is alphabetical, or perhaps because that is your typical browser? If it is, I would also recommend making sure you have 3rd party cookies turned off. To do that, click on the wrench in the top left corner, and go to Settings.

At the very very bottom, you will see a link that says "Show Advanced Settings"

Click on Content Settings and check the "Block third-party cookies and site data." I don't know if it is still this way, but Chrome had that unchecked by default at one point (primarily because Google makes a lot of advertising $$ from third-party cookies ), but if you are using another browser, it is likely already blocking them by default. I still prefer Chrome though, simply because it can run JavaScript faster than any browser out there.

To block a site, just under where you check the "Block Third-Party" cookies box, click on "Manage Exceptions". There you can enter the address of any site and choose whether to block, allow, or clear on exit.

One more thing: make sure you have the latest version of Chrome. To install it, just click on the wrench, again, and click on "About." That will automatically update your version of Chrome.

I hope this helps! If you use a different browser and need help finding how to do that, just ask!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Actually, my present default web browser of choice has been Microsoft IE. I may switch to another one, but I have been unable to properly set up any of the other browsers besides IE to stream music from a website without actually downloading it.

Thanks for all of the info, Mister Michael. I will follow all of the steps you outlined.

Take care.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hi Larry,

I share your frustration with this site; I had such poor response times I hardly visited for several months. Just wanted to give you some moral support!

I use IE and since it works fine for everything else (for me at least), I had no desire to change my browser for only this site. I did upgrade to IE 9 though ... and things were a little better.

When I first go to the NS site, it takes a while and then it actually disappears for 10-15 seconds, then comes back. It's slow navigating to the LR, but once I'm there, it seems to run OK (but still not nearly as responsive as just about any other site I may visit).

It's a case of loosing valuable time, but the damn music is so good, I try my best to look the other way.

Good luck!

Frank

Go Back to forum