• Register
  • Help

Topic: Can Anyone Help Me Get Started ?

Share/Bookmark

Can Anyone Help Me Get Started ?

I just received the Garritan World Instruments collection, installed it, registered it, and began triggering instruments using a YRG Gen 2. Triggering performance is excellent, but the sounds themselves are very unnatural-sounding. I have tried the woodwinds under the African and Chinese subfolders, but they are sounding quite unpleasantly like the products of a synthesizer programmed to produce a remote analog of the real things. I am hoping that there is some way to make them sound more like natural instruments. I am not sophisticated with regard to the technical side of computer-generated music. Can someone help me get started with adjusting the sounds to sound more naturally? I'd appreciate it very much.

Re: Can Anyone Help Me Get Started ?

Well, that's an excellent Library of instruments, Zeugitai. But even the absolute best samples in the world are going to sound lifeless and a bit odd if they aren't actually Played. Just triggering notes to audition the sound doesn't get you very far.

I see you're using a guitar controller - I think it's going to be quite a challenge to play most of the World instruments in any kind of convincing way with a guitar controller, but it should be at least an interesting challenge.

There are no adjustments to substantially change the sound of the samples. ARIA has EQ in it, and there are all the MIDI controls available for each instrument, listed on the Controls tab of ARIA. But the basic sounds themselves you're not going to change. You just need to start playing them in as characteristic a way you can with your guitar.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    [...]
    There are no adjustments to substantially change the sound of the samples. ARIA has EQ in it, and there are all the MIDI controls available for each instrument, listed on the Controls tab of ARIA. But the basic sounds themselves you're not going to change. You just need to start playing them in as characteristic a way you can with your guitar.
    Randy
    Thanks, Randy, although that was the answer I was afraid of getting. I have been using Kong Audio's various individual instruments with great satisfaction but I thought the Garritan World Instruments collection would give me a library of comparable quality for a reasonable price. It is now clear that the quality of these are radically incomparable.

My question now is how to recoup some of my loss by unloading this collection somehow, if that were possible.

Hmmm. Now that you've brought up another company's Library of world instruments, I'm doubting the sincerity of your post, Zeugitai.

If you're not actually here to sell the other company's software, or to perhaps sell someone here your copy of Garritan World which could be of dubious origin - if none of those things are the case, then I definitely doubt your hearing ability.

Have you heard the demos produced for World? I did some of them, Robert Davis did some - We're both just musicians who know how to produce music using sampled instruments. If you think those don't sound good, then there's definitely something wrong with your hearing:

Garritan World Demos

I'll go with my first suspicion though - That you're here to spam the Forum about another company's product.

Always the chance that I'm not correct, but I'm feeling rather sure your complaints aren't genuine.

Randy

Go Back to forum