• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Halion 2 arrived yesterday

Share/Bookmark

Halion 2 arrived yesterday

My update to Halion 2 arrived in yesterday\'s mail. I could not take the chance of installing it then, because I had an all day recording session scheduled for today, but when the session was over I did install it (with no problems). My first impressions are that the Dxi version with Sonar is VERY nice. The user interface is much better than version one in a VST wrapper. Far easier to understand, and the bugs that were in the V1 interface are gone. It still takes a lot of CPU, but I did find that you can reduce the quality level for playback while you are mixing, and it significantly reduces the load on the CPU. The difference is not really that noticeable either. There is a switch that allows you to select \"Always use highest quality when recording\" so that when you mix it down or render it, you will get full quality. With my aging Athlon 950 w/768 megs of ram, at full quality there was quite a bit of popping and cracking until I brought the latency and buffers way up. However, at 50% quality it was rock solid, and still sounded great with the Bardstown Bosendorfer Halion version. With smaller gigs, the load was less and it was not necessary to be quite so severe with the latency and quality setting. I only spent about 30 minutes with it, but so far I am very happy with the update.

-- Martin

Re: Halion 2 arrived yesterday

For $19.99 for the update, we gotta be happy [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Does Halion 2.0 read the old halion patches perfectly?

/Tobias

Tob,

I only tried a few, but I had no problems with it reading any of them.

-- Martin

The best news is that Halion 2 now correctly imports (and supports) mod-wheel cross-fades. I tried it out by importing SAM Trombones from Giga and voila, multi-level mod-wheel crossfades in Halion. (The documentation, however, could really use an example of how to do this.)

Another cool feature for me is that Halion 2 also imports Roland disks. I tried it out on a few Roland Symphony of Voices patches. The import seems doing a credible job, but I haven\'t really looked at it enough to say how the translation compares to Translator or CDXtract (both of which I own). Without going into a long discussion on translation, let me just say that there are dozens of parameters per sample and none of the translators do a 100% Roland conversion although they usually do the basics well.

Originally posted by James Thornton:
    The best news is that Halion 2 now correctly imports (and supports) mod-wheel cross-fades. I tried it out by importing SAM Trombones from Giga and voila, multi-level mod-wheel crossfades in Halion.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Wow! So why the hell didn\'t Steinberg mention this in the list of HALion 2 features? Apparently it has proper releases as well now, which they also forgot to mention. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

So I guess this makes HALion the best again - and a good thing too. I wonder if its as efficient as Kontakt though? (The new engine in the QLSO I mean). Probably not but at least you don\'t need an electron microscope to tell what\'s going on in the editor.

Hmm, I imported a SI strings patch with release samples, but the release samples don\'t continue when you release the key. They only sound for a very short time. I still have to manually edit the patch to fix this.

Originally posted by Sovereign:
    Hmm, I imported a SI strings patch with release samples, but the release samples don\'t continue when you release the key. They only sound for a very short time. I still have to manually edit the patch to fix this.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">This is definitely with HALion 2? Someone on the Cubase forums said the releases had been fixed..

I can\'t speak for the release samples for SI since I don\'t own it, but I didn\'t notice any problems with the release samples for SAM horns or trombones.

Sam Horns has release samples? [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

I\'ll try it with some DD Ensemble patches later today.

Go Back to forum