• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bigga Gigga's Saxes (two thumbs up!)

Share/Bookmark

Bigga Gigga\'s Saxes (two thumbs up!)

I\'ve been using BG\'s tenor sax for some time now, and I am a huge fan. I haven\'t heard a sax sample yet that has the depth and richness of this library. The low velocities give such a sweet sound, and you\'re able to go to a \"honk\'n\" sound very easy and naturally. The vibrato is especially good. It\'s unlike any sampled horn vibrato I\'ve ever heard. No LFO\'s, no loops...it\'s the real thing accurately reproduced.

I was understandably elated when the UPS guy dropped off the latest additions to the library: Bari and Alto. These do not disappoint. They have the same rich, natural sound found in the tenor.

The volumes of the libraries have been matched, so you can create sections. I\'ve played around with this using a Bari, Tenor, and Alto section, and it is very realistic. They\'ve made it where you don\'t have to do much mucking around to get the volumes right...everything just blends together. With all these stacked on the same note, you get killer horn sound.

The early version of the tenor had a problem with the legato phrasing. Each note sounded tongued, so fast phrases sounded somewhat unnatural. Even with this limitation, however, I still found the library useful in getting that sax texture that seems elusive in other sax samples.

But I\'m happy to report they got the legato thing fixed, and now you can play fast passages without the unnatural attack part of the note. It\'s done with some fancy programming, and it works like a charm.

Bottom line, good sax players are probably not going to lose any work. But for virtual studios needing realistic sax sounds, the BG collection will get you closer than you\'ve ever been.

Re: Bigga Gigga\'s Saxes (two thumbs up!)

Post some demos, please! I don\'t like what I\'ve heard so far, and I really want to...

Dasher

Sporter,

sounds fabulous...If you were next door, I\'d do a few user demos God willing.

The product is sounding very promising here..

Alan Russell

Originally posted by Lee Blaske:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Post some demos, please! I don\'t like what I\'ve heard so far, and I really want to...
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Ditto.

Is it just me, or does sporter\'s post read like a sales pitch?

Lee Blaske
    </font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">If it reads like a sales pitch, so be it. I hope BG is very successful with this library...they deserve it. But what exactly are you insinuating? My comments are unsolicited. If I hear something I like, I brag on it. I don\'t have anything to sell.

I did post a little demo of the Bardstown and BG tenor a while back, and got decent reviews here...or at least nobody said it sucked.. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . I just got the bari and alto, so I haven\'t really done anything other than play around with it. My site is of the low budget variety, but as soon as I get something that sounds decent, I\'ll try to put it up.

Some of the earlier demos did leave a lot to be desired...most of it, at least to my ears, due to the legato problem..which, as I mentioned, is fixed now.

Originally posted by Alan Russell:
    Sporter,

sounds fabulous...If you were next door, I\'d do a few user demos God willing.

The product is sounding very promising here..

Alan Russell
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Thanks Alan. I really enjoy the Bardstown demos you\'ve put out..as you know I\'m a big fan of Kip\'s work. I listen to the songs on your site quite often...I would love to hear you do something with the BG sax.

Lee,

Any sample that thrills me, I will rave about it with a backed up DEMO. Cureently Kip and I are finishing a bebop quartet DEMO which will probably be out today unless KIP gets swamped with sales. Sporter is quite content with his sax library purchase and I know he is after reading all of his previous posts. I am also sure that when time permits, Sporter will submit more demos of each sax in the library. If I get the chance to do a few user DEMOS (if asked) I will also.

Stay tuned

Alan Russell

Go Back to forum