• Register
  • Help

Topic: Inexpensive multi-out sound card setup

Share/Bookmark

Inexpensive multi-out sound card setup

Screenshots & Download
    http://kxproject.spb.ru/shots.php?language=en

Troubleshooting Successful
    http://www.driverheaven.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14008&perpage=15&pagenu mber=1

Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I only just realized the potential. The \"KX Project\" are FREE alternative drivers for Creative Sound Blaster Live! & Audigy. Among other things it can reroute the EMU DSP chip, turning the other 1/8\" plugs into multichannel outputs.

That\'s right -- a $50 Soundblaster live becomes an 8-channel soundcard (4 stereo pairs). It turns out that because they share the same (or very similar) EMU DSP, the Live! and Audigy are both 5.1 multichannel cards. But the Creative drivers only enable that on the Audigy...

Also, the programmer has signed an NDA with Tascam for the GSIF spec (!). The current release includes \"initial\" GSIF support, with \"full\" support rumored in the next month or so.

This sounds very interesting to me. I don\'t have a lot to spend, but in the forum link above you see people setting up 5 different SB Live! cards in one computer, for a total of 20 stereo output pairs for $250. Add GSIF support and that makes for a fairly hard-hitting budget option.

Obviously I\'m not suggesting that this is hi-fi. But worth mentioning regardless!! [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

I just downloaded the drivers and am actually off to buy a SB Live! right now. Has anyone around here tried out the GSIF support?

PS - Russian programmers rock.

Re: Inexpensive multi-out sound card setup

I\'ve heard of these drivers and if they work as well as we hope it could be very exciting indeed.

One of the drawbacks of building extra DAW\'s at the moment is getting a cheap, reliable, ASIO and/or GSIF compatible card. Sometimes a good enough sound card equals the price of a second hand DAW, effectively doubling the cost of building one at all.

If this solution works, I can build subsequent \"bare-bones\" DAW\'s with a $20 sound card, an $8 network card and run MOL through all of them. [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Scott.

\"One of the drawbacks of building extra DAW\'s at the moment is getting a cheap, reliable, ASIO and/or GSIF compatible card. Sometimes a good enough sound card equals the price of a second hand DAW, effectively doubling the cost of building one at all.\"

One sound card solution is to get the M-Aufio Revolution: 8 outs (4 stereo) that are similar in specs to the upper end Delta 1010 card. I think it is GSIF compat. CompUSA was selling it for ~$69.

\"If this solution works, I can build subsequent \"bare-bones\" DAW\'s with a $20 sound card, an $8 network card and run MOL through all of them.\"

To go really cheap, get a MB with a built in LAN and sound output. It would at least work with KONTAKT, and probably Halion.

Well, it would\'ve worked.... except that i discovered my \"new\" motherboard has a fried +5v section. So my AGP slot is useless, and it seems that the more power hungry PCI cards are useless as well! :-( My 2 Gina20s didn\'t work, nor did the SBLive.

As for the driver installation, it went fine and seemed to perform well. But my mobo problem supercedes it.

Which in my case limits me to a USB or firewire solution for GSIF support. Grrrr. I\'m going to try a dual boot w/ XP and give the US-428 a shot...

Still I think the KX Project looks very promising. [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

My experience with the KX drivers was not very good. I found them buggy (about a year ago) and not that much better than the Creative drivers. However, I have heard a lot of people say good things about them. The bugs were pretty serious and obvious too. Like the sound volume resetting to full volume seemingly at random (very often).

-- Martin

I guess my basic question is this...would an \'el cheapo\' soundcard effect the sound quality of the giga files once they\'re renedered? I mean, I know it wouldn\'t sound that great from the outputs since the sound quality would rely on the actual card, but for rendering files, does the quality of the soundcard actually matter? I was under the impression that rendering is independent of the soundcard since the process involved converting the midi performance to a wave file in the software itself. I know that might sound crazy if it isn\'t the case, but I\'d love it if someone could clarify.
    -Hudson

Hudson,

It would not make any difference for rendering. That is done digitally on the computer and does not depend on the sound card. However, if you record the output of the sound card back into your DAW, it would make a difference.

-- Martin

For what its worth, I\'d just thought I\'d mention that for the third of my giga/Vsti computers I chose an Audigy soundcard with KX drivers. I use the render facility and then pipe the wavs over Lan to the DAW (with the quality soundcards in!). I\'ve never had any problems and the sound quality of the Audigy is just as clear as, say, my old Yamaha SY99.

No problemski!

Go Back to forum