Topic: Hunter solo strings

Share/Bookmark

Hunter solo strings

Hello Kirk

Did you get that update out yet?

Thanks
    JP

Re: Hunter solo strings

Updates were mailed on Friday, 5/09. LOTS of new stuff. Here\'s a quick demo showing some nice repeated spiccato notes avoiding the \"robotic\" curse.

Ambient
    www.kirkhunterstudios.com/SQMotoPerp.mp3

Dry:
    www.kirkhunterstudios.com/SQMotoPerpDry.mp3

How many disks (CD/DVD) and bits (megabytes) are included in the solo string library? I couldn\'t find that info on the site.

I\'m not that worried it will be small, considering the size of the brass library. 10 DVDs and more to come. Amazing!

Of course, size isn\'t everything. (Knowing that allows me to delete all those \"enhancement\" spam messages I receive. If I replied to them all I wouldn\'t be able to walk :-) It\'s quality that counts, and the demos sound great.

Originally posted by JonFairhurst:
    How many disks (CD/DVD) and bits (megabytes) are included in the solo string library? I couldn\'t find that info on the site.

I\'m not that worried it will be small, considering the size of the brass library. 10 DVDs and more to come. Amazing!

Of course, size isn\'t everything. (Knowing that allows me to delete all those \"enhancement\" spam messages I receive. If I replied to them all I wouldn\'t be able to walk :-) It\'s quality that counts, and the demos sound great.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Right now, the Solo String Library is 5.5 GIGABYTES, and come on 2 DVD\'s or 7 CD\'s. However, when it\'s all done, it will be about 6.5 gigabytes, still on 2 DVD\'s or 9 CD\'s.

The violin, viola, and cello are done. I\'m just finishing up the double bass at this time.

Kirk Hunter
    www.kirkhunterstudios.com

Originally posted by KirkHunter:
    The violin, viola, and cello are done. I\'m just finishing up the double bass at this time.

Kirk Hunter
    www.kirkhunterstudios.com
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Outstanding! Very glad to hear this, I\'ve been wondering how things have been progressing, and this makes a good day even better. As far as the sizes go... wow. I don\'t have a fraction of that at my disposal right now, maybe a few hundred mb\'s. Do the updates that went out this Fri contain the bulk of that additional material and programming?

Glad to hear things are going well... can\'t wait for that bass. Thanks, Kirk!

mike

6.5 Gig for four solo instruments. Excellent.

Sorry to bother, but a few other questions come to mind...

First, the site says pp..ff for most articulations. Can I assume that this includes six layers, like your other work? If so, this should be wonderfully playable, which is critical for solo instruments.

Next, what ambience options are there? I don\'t have a strong bias, but sometimes dry-mono is best, using post-processing, and at other times wet-stereo is best with minimal processing. I\'d like to know which options are available.

And finally do the heavy attack, marcato, spiccato and other articulations allow for really rough styles of play? I\'m thinking of something akin to Psycho or Shostakovich\'s String Quartet No. 8 - Allegro molto and Allegretto. I guess I\'m just an electric guitarist at heart. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for your time. My birthday\'s coming up, and this library is a strong contender for the top of the list.

Originally posted by JonFairhurst:
    6.5 Gig for four solo instruments. Excellent.

Sorry to bother, but a few other questions come to mind...

First, the site says pp..ff for most articulations. Can I assume that this includes six layers, like your other work? If so, this should be wonderfully playable, which is critical for solo instruments.

Next, what ambience options are there? I don\'t have a strong bias, but sometimes dry-mono is best, using post-processing, and at other times wet-stereo is best with minimal processing. I\'d like to know which options are available.

And finally do the heavy attack, marcato, spiccato and other articulations allow for really rough styles of play? I\'m thinking of something akin to Psycho or Shostakovich\'s String Quartet No. 8 - Allegro molto and Allegretto. I guess I\'m just an electric guitarist at heart. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for your time. My birthday\'s coming up, and this library is a strong contender for the top of the list.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Velocity layers:
    As many as 32. Several at 16, and most have at least 8.

Ambience:
    They\'re fairly dry. However, they are not recorded REALLY close, so there is a bit of \"breath\" to them. As far as solos go, I prefer them mono and dry. This way, I can easily place them. Plus, mono samples can yield as many as 32 layers!

Many already know that I have a tendancy to create \"over the top\" types of samples, so if you want really aggressive stuff it\'s in there for sure.

MichaelAngelo450:
    Hey Mike....the updates that when out ARE this latest 5.5-gigabyte version. All there but the double bass.

Kirk Hunter
    http://www.kirkhunterstudios.com/solodemos.html

Very, very nice. All those velocity layers. It must be a joy to play. Mono-dry is definitely nice for placing solo instruments and for freeing layers. And \"over the top\" is just what I want. You can always filter down agressive stuff and use the softer dynamics, but aside from adding compression and distortion (yuk), it\'s hard to make soft stuff scream.

Time to e-mail my birthday gift links to my wife. Well, maybe on the day *after* Mother\'s Day :-)

Thanks, Kirk! And for the record, over-the-top is exactly what I find inspiring to use, but I can attest to the fact that this more agressive top end is just that: a top end to samples that have great modesty on the other end of the spectrum, and really sit and blend well because of it. That\'s dynamic, that is interesting, and very much what good music is about imo. Most of the samples I\'ve had experience with seem afraid of sticking out too much, and simply remain to bland for my tastes. It\'s what I always liked about the demos I\'d heard done with the Viruoso Strings, still easily some of the most believable examples of sample mockup I\'ve heard. (Thomas J\'s E.T. KH mockup from way back is a good example of this, and that was done after SI and GOS were out!) I\'m using VSL and SI stuff now, but I\'d be lying if I said I still didn\'t ponder over the VS strings whenever I\'ve got an extra chunk of change allocated for samples... Good dynamic samples like that might not ever die I think. Anyway, thanks for the updates [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum