• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: School of MIDI Orchestration

Share/Bookmark

School of MIDI Orchestration

Everyone, I\'ve raised a similar post at the VSL place.

One thing that seems to be missing is a MIDI Orchestration school (for Orchestra/Film Scoring) especially for beginners (like me). I\'ve thought about setting up something that demos with MIDI passages and MP3s how different moods and phrases can be generated with different instruments - e.g. slow and romantic, fast and action, moody, scary etc - to show how different instrument combinations and phrases can be used.

Alas, its all beyond my skill = but would anyone be interested in helping me out with contributing short MIDI passages for others to analyse technique on etc?

I\'d also then like to expand it to basic mixing/production techniques as well - sensible EQing still proves to be an illusive technique and I\'d like to be able to show and hear how it affects the end sound - (e.g. with a combination of images and MP3s before and after).

Let me know your thoughts.

Regards

Tim

Re: School of MIDI Orchestration

I think you mean;
    general orchestration tech
    general composition tech
    general film composition tech
    general midi tech

for general orchestration tech, I recommend you should buy;
    \"Study of Orchestration\" and its CDs by Samuel Adler
    By the time you finish listning to CD examples and reading book, you will learn a lot.

for general composition tech
    you should learn;

4-part harmony writing, at least up till \"aug 6\"
    I recommend you finish something like \"380 Basses et Chants Donnes\" by Henri Challan.

counterpoint both pre and post Bach

If you can I recommend studing harmoney and counterpoint with a private teacher.

jazz harmony
    20th C tech.
    study form of music

For general film composition tech...
    Buy sound track and listen to it...
    Buy DVD which has \"Sound track only\" thing, and study when, how and why it is in and out.

For general midi tech.
    Buy score and CD. Then listen to the CD and realize (copy) it as close as possible using your PC and sounds. Buy the time you finish one movement or so. You will learn a lot.
    You seem to have VSL. So, maybe Brahms symphony will be good.

Best.

Yeah, Ken\'s absolutely spot-on with learning with harmony with an independant tutor if possible. One of my first jobs after graduating was teaching harmony and counterpoint for a couple of terms at the Guildhall school of Music & Drama here in the UK and I was stunned by just how many students found it a repellent subject because of the dry academic style presented in so many books on the subject. Having someone explain the ins and outs of it face to face can mean an awful big difference - and you\'ll doubtless learn much faster after being given set tasks on a regular basis.

Thanks All. Ken-P I have the Adler book on order with amazon.co.uk so hopefully that might help out. Couldn\'t get the CD edition though - anyone have any ideas?

JonP any ideas where to look. I\'m live near Sheffield in the UK and I could only study evenings as I work full time. Wheres the best place to look? Yellow Pages?

Hi Tim

For quality, you could try contacting the music dept at Sheffield Uni and asking if any of the teaching staff or postgrad students would be willing to spare an hour\'s tuition. The MA and doctorate students are usually keen to make some extra money and at that level should be more than well equiped to assist you to a suitable level.

The head of dept is a guy called Peter Hill. You could ask his secretary or dept secretary if she\'d ask the staff or put a note on the board so that one of the posgrad\'s could contact you.

You\'d probably have to travel, so if that\'s not an option try a local periptatetic tutor. But check their history first to see if they\'re qualified to help - some of the best tutors are established or retired pro musicians who teach to supplememnt their income (and often teach in the numerous upper-crust schools dotted here and there). Don\'t go for the old lady who only teaches grade one pupils!.

Maybe I\'m wrong here..but doesn\'t \"Study of Orchestration\" by Adler have absolutely nothing to do with the \"tech\" or MIDI side of music? I thought it was just purely about orchestration. I think Tim was looking for MIDI/technical guides...

>> how different moods and phrases can be generated with different instruments - e.g. slow and romantic, fast and action, moody, scary etc - to show how different instrument combinations and phrases can be used.

Because of this comment, I thought he was looking for not only midi tech staff but also orchestration itself.

Thanks everyone for your input. I am looking more to the orchestration side of things rather than the technical side as I can manage (just about) on the techie side - although whether i\'ll get into xfading my own samples I doubt.

At the moment I want to try and understand how you put a composition together, how you link phrases, create melodies, counter melodies and harmonies - that sort of stuff. I did by \"Guide to Orchestration\" by Blatter, but thats not been much help.

I\'ll give Sheffield Uni a call and see what they can come up with too.

Cheers

Got it.. sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes, in that case, Study of Orch. is an awesome book/CD set.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast