• Register
  • Help

Topic: Piano velocity layer question

Share/Bookmark

Piano velocity layer question

I see some piano and keyboard libraries that say they use 8, 12, or even 16 velocity layers (not including pedal down or releases) and I\'m just wondering how a human can accurately hit every key 16 different ways every time. it just doesn\'t seem possible. Do they use a machine that exerts the same force on the keys every time or what? Can someone enlighten me?

Daniel

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: Piano velocity layer question

There are lots of ways, but probably the most organic is simply getting WAY more takes than you need of each note, and making sure you have a good assistant on the session keeping track of everything.

Originally posted by SonicVI:
    I see some piano and keyboard libraries that say they use 8, 12, or even 16 velocity layers (not including pedal down or releases) and I\'m just wondering how a human can accurately hit every key 16 different ways every time. it just doesn\'t seem possible. Do they use a machine that exerts the same force on the keys every time or what? Can someone enlighten me?

Daniel
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I use specially designed software that allows me to sample with this accuracy.
    I\'ve just completet a session where I sampled a grand with 16 velocities. (16 pedal up and 15 pedal down).

There is also a mechanical tool which some manufacturers use which is a pivotting arm. one end touches the key, the other end has a variable weighting. This would make repetition a breeze.

Originally posted by Worra:

Daniel [/qb]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">I use specially designed software that allows me to sample with this accuracy.
    I\'ve just completet a session where I sampled a grand with 16 velocities. (16 pedal up and 15 pedal down). [/QB][/QUOTE]

Can you explain a bit how it works?

Daniel

Originally posted by SonicVI:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by Worra:

Daniel
    I\'ve just completet a session where I sampled a grand with 16 velocities. (16 pedal up and 15 pedal down). [/QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Can you explain a bit how it works?

Daniel [/QB][/QUOTE]

To put it simple and without telling too much about company secrets, it\'s a software that allows me to sample in 2dB accuracy from a given startpoint. There\'s more to it, but I won\'t tell you more.... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    I\'ve experimented with mechanical arms, but I found them too noisy.
    Also, it\'s been developed by a guy who also is named Daniel!

Do a Google search on QRS Pianomation and you\'ll understand secrets never revealed before!
    In short: You can connect a Gulbrandsen strike-to-midi conversion system to record piano strikes in midi and apply a QRS Player System to strike the piano keys for you based on plain midi files(in 127 steps).

Go Back to forum