• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Best way to translate 24bit audio to 16bit?

Share/Bookmark

OT: Best way to translate 24bit audio to 16bit?

Hello!

I am wondering what the best way to translate my 48/24 projects to 44.1/16 is, so they can be burned on a cd. I\'ve heard of the apogee uv22 program, but I only have access to PCs, so what is the best way for a PC user? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for any help
    Best regards

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Re: OT: Best way to translate 24bit audio to 16bit?

Originally posted by Plundrik:
    Hello!

I am wondering what the best way to translate my 48/24 projects to 44.1/16 is, so they can be burned on a cd. I\'ve heard of the apogee uv22 program, but I only have access to PCs, so what is the best way for a PC user? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for any help
    Best regards
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Sound Forge\'s bitrate conversion is very transparent. Really, all of the mainstream bitrate conversion algorithms work about as well as one another.

As far as the bit depth conversions, any high quality dithering algorithm will do the trick. On the higher end, Waves L2 from the Masters Bundle. On the lower end, Isotope\'s Ozone is a lot of plugin for the money. The Apogee algorithm is featured in Cubase and of course in their hardware products. Dithering is all about bit depth, though, not rate.

Another excellent dithering algorithm is Pow-r dither, which is featured in Logic 5, Samplitude and Sequoia for PC.

Kip McGinnis
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

Bruce,

I did an experiment with a 48Khz/24 bit file that was sent to me for for CD mastering. I first tried the Sound Forge Resample option and resampled it to 44.1Khz (keeping it at 24 bit). Then I tried transferring it from my laptop with an Echo Mona interface to my Delta 1010 through an analog conversion. There was a very noticeable difference between the two. The resampled version lost a lot of high end \"sparkle\". The cymbals especially, no longer had much sizzle. The analog transfer sounded very close to the original. It was a lot more trouble, but I felt it was worth it.

-- Martin

And how about Awave Audio ?

SergeD

I spend half of my life as a mastering engineer.
    I hate getting 48K material!!!!
    After much anal retentive testing our conclusion was that re-recording the material analog through good converters yeilds the best results.
    It was not much of a difference between sample rate converter software but it was enough that I still drag in another PT rig to do the transfer analog.

Bit depth is easily changed with a good dither program (waves is my current app .. L2)
    And to be honest in anything but the most delicate material just truncating the bit rate sounds just fine.
    Bit depth is dynamic range. If the material does not have much than there is not much to lose.
    But on sweet material its amazing how noticable different dither algorithms can actually effect the material.

I believe that any wave-editing program ought to have this function, I know that even Wavelab, which comes with basic versions of Cubase, lite can do it.

Go Back to forum