• Register
  • Help

Topic: Would this be cool, or what?

Share/Bookmark

Would this be cool, or what?

Hi Gang.

I was originally going to post this on the \"Idle Speculation about GS 3.0\" thread, but decided to make it into its own discussion.

I would love to see a feature added to GigaStudio that allows the user to load up a specific \'set\' of instruments.

Say you are writing a jazz combo. You are nearly done, when you decide to take a left turn and end with a classical string flourish. Currently, you would have to hunt \'n peck through your QuickSound dbase to find the violins, violas, celli, and double-bass sections you like.

But what if you had earlier \"defined\" these sections earlier and had saved them as a group? Say you like the Siedlecek violins, the Miroslav violas, the Sonic Implants celli, and the VSL basses. You could just tell GigaStudio to \"Load Group\", hunt and find the group file, and tell Giga to load in from a specific port/channel location.

This would save me lots of time. Instead of hunting and auditioning each sound that I used in a previous cue, I could just load the group file and start working again.

Any time you find a combination of instruments that sounds great together, just save them as a group and recall them instantly later. (It would be cool if any fx settings were captured as well)

What do you think?

Re: Would this be cool, or what?

Are you referring to a performance? Those exist.

REALLY?? I had no idea!

I tried loading up just a kick drum and saved that as \"kik.gsp\". I then opened up another GS file with different instruments. I tried to import the file \"kik.gsp\" to add it, but it replaced my entire GS session with the earlier one with only the kik loaded.

Am I missing something here?

Thank you so much; if this works, I will FedEx you a bottle of wine!

I would call it Merge Performance. Sure, cool gadget. I want it. It doesn\'t seem so hard to do.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

I\'m not in front of the Giga box right now, but try dragging a performance on top of an existing one rather than loading it from the menu. I might be wrong, but I think there are two different behaviors. If you open an additional performance from the menu, the loaded one will be replaced. If you drag one in from the desktop or from Windows Explorer, it will be added to what\'s already loaded. Also check the behavior of dragging the performance from the Quicksound window vs. double clicking.

There is one of those methodologies that does what you\'re seeking, I believe. The one \"gotcha\" is that in adding a previously existing performance to one that\'s currently being used, there could be anomalies in channel/port assignments that might require some re-channelizing of instruments.

I like Chateau Lafite. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

The one \"gotcha\" is that in adding a previously existing performance to one that\'s currently being used, there could be anomalies in channel/port assignments that might require some re-channelizing of instruments.
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">That\'s why we need it as a new function in the menu so that it assigns at the next available channel.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Hmmm, Merge performance, I like how that sounds.
    I should consider copyright or patent this, before it\'s too late.

------------
    Alex Cremers

Woah Bruce! You freaked me out just then.

I know that being able to merge performances is on the request list, but I had no idea it had been quietly implemented.

Unfortunately, I just tried what you suggested and both dragging from the desktop and from Quicksound reset Gigastudio with the new performance.

You little tease, you!

Almost, Bruce. In the immortal words of Julius Gallo, \"We will [send] no wine before its time\". [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

\"Merge Performance...\" Very cool. It could open a window that allows you to specify which port/channel you want to fill, as well as whether you want to copy in any fx settings in the DSP mixer.

Go Back to forum