• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Best Drum Fills?

Share/Bookmark

Best Drum Fills?

I\'m shopping around for a library of drum loops that includes a lot of fills, particularly endings. I\'m starting a tv series and will have to do a lot of different music bumpers to and from commercial breaks. I\'m looking for quality stuff.

Thanks! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Best Drum Fills?

Ned,

Check these out...

http://www.discretedrums.com/

Lee, I can play guitar, and fuddle on keyboard, but I\'m not a drummer! I\'m looking for real-sounding drum playing. The Discreet collection sounds good, but I don\'t need all the files, really. I already own something that might work, BackBeat, but I\'m looking for something additional. A single or double-cd set that offers a variety of fills (no, no, not exclusively - I doubt that exists!).

And now, back to our sponsor... [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

While this probably won\'t \"fill\" all your needs, here\'s a little Stylus trick I accidentally discovered: While playing back a track in GC mode, I hit the \"Randomize\" function in Cubase. The results ranged from basically useless to variations on the original loop to very interesting potential fill patterns. Be sure to hit Audio record before you hit Play (though I\'ve yet to try and Render a randomized Stylus track---it might work too). You\'d hate to lose some potentially cool randomness (like I did). [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Spectrasonics Backbeat is great!!! Loads of fills, groove control and different kits used for different grooves. Look into it.

EDIT:
    Oh I didnt read all the replies, you already have backbeat. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Well look into Drum Kit From hell, there are many midi files and becuase its a kit its easy to change it to however you want it to sound.

Ed

Another cool library, although it\'s quite old now, is Drum Tools. Sonically it still holds up though.

It has a variety of loops, but lots of drum fills at different tempos, as well as individual hits for customization.

New York City Drum Works was another, although I felt the sonic quality of that library paled in comparison to others, particularly the newer ones.

I\'m with Sharmy...Drumkit From Hell\'s midi files are a great place to start. With a little cut and paste you can get a ton of variations. There are also several fill .wav files included with DFH. The fills are very creative and not the same old stuff you hear on most sample disks.

Hope that helps!

Ned - check this out: MusicLab
    I\'m coming at it from a different angle, but Fill-In Drummer might give you what you need if you\'ve got some decent acoustic kit samples. It\'s a midi plug-in (MFX) so if you can use it in Sonar or Cubase (with the MFX wrapper). I haven\'t used it myself, but several people have raved about it on the Fxpansion forum over at KVR.

Sharmy, Lance and others: thanks for the quick replies! I\'m going to check out DFH. The demo on their site is a little too technical for my taste - I didn\'t even understand that there were MIDI files to go along with the samples!

Hamilton: I\'m on a Mac, so no go for Musiclab! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Chec out Groove Masters drums!!
    It is by far my first choice for
    Drums including fills!!

Dave

Go Back to forum