• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: Gig 3.0 - Idle speculation

Share/Bookmark
    andyt

Gig 3.0 - Idle speculation

The recent debate about the pro\'s and con\'s of QLSO Kontact VSL instrument, and reading some info about MOTU\'s new Mach5 sampler got me speculating about what surprises might be in store development for Gig 3.0.

What would I like to see in Gig 3.0:
    My wish list would be;

1. Legato .. a tool to deliver realistic legato with normal samples.
    2. Ability to add VST effects into the audio chain
    3. Hmmm thats about it really ... anything else is beyond my limited imagination :-)

What is everyone else hoping for / expecting ?

Re: Gig 3.0 - Idle speculation

My wish list is :

- DirectX or VST Plugins
    - Surround

You can have a legato tool for any sampler with the new Maple Tool

I agree, use what you currently have and expect nothing from Tascam. If you need other support like real time fx, there are other options available now. The time to \"hold out\" for Tascam is long gone.

I wonder why so many people are all jazzed up about surround sampling? Don\'t get me wrong, surround sound is great and I use it all the time....but do we really need a bass recorded in 5.1? There\'s got to be a lot of misconception about the use of surround in samples. For samples to be effectively in \"surround\" it means that at leaast 5 microphones must be used to mike up the instrument source plus the additional room and hence obtain the natural reflections off the walls and such.

Most people don\'t use surround in such fashion preferring instead to move mono or stereo instruments within a surround mix hence placing a guitar slightly behind the listener, a shaker to the side, drums in the front and vocals with surround reverb around the listener. I think I would be a lot more excited about a surround version of Altriverb than Mach 5 or even GS3 with 5.1 sample support.

Also, keep in mind that samplers would need 6 times the polyphony in surround to equal what we have today. That means that a 300 voice GS3 would only give you 50 surround voices...not so exciting eh?

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Lee Blaske:
    Expect the unexpected.

In a computer software development time frame, it\'s been ages since we\'ve gotten any update or scrap of news about Tascam/Nemesys\'s plans for the future. This is very much contrary to the way normal, viable software companies behave, and is a cause for concern. The meager effort put into web presence for the GS product doesn\'t help either.

Considering the lead they once had, you would think that Tascam would have funded the project well enough so that GS could have kept ahead of the competition. Certainly, they should have been the first on the block with 24 bit sampling.

At this point, it\'s really anybody\'s guess. Maybe something\'s going on, maybe it isn\'t. Perhaps an ambitious plan was underway that\'s run into technical snags (i.e. problems with the GS kernel implementation within the MS OS). Reading between BR\'s lines, the next product might be something VERY different from the current GS, targeting a different marketing sector with additional revenue possibilities.

In short, it\'s one big, gigantic question mark. Tascam is leaving their customer base totally out of the loop, and personally, that\'s not a quality I like in a software company. No matter how good the product, I\'m suspicious of reclusive developers who go into hiding for years.

I believe the best game plan is to not expect ANYTHING further from Tascam. If something does show up years from now or they finally condescend to let us in on what they\'re up to, that\'s the time to sit up and take notice. Tascam has a really oddball corporate culture, and in general it\'s probably not wise to have all your eggs in that basket. In other words, diversifying your sample collection with products that play on one of the other products is probably not a bad idea.

In the meantime, use the snot outta what you got. In addition to GS, I still have five Emu E4XT\'s that I use daily with a huge library of sounds even though development of that platform seems to have gound to a halt. Rejoice in the fact that there is a lot of competition for GS, and that most other companies have a LOT more respect for their customers, keeping them informed about what\'s going on.

Take it away, Bruce.

Lee Blaske
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">You make it so easy...posting pure, speculative nonsense. Especially when people who could refute you are clearly not at liberty to do so. Very big of you.

[img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img]

At this point, I will prefer to just refer back to these threads later...and I will relish it.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Luigi:

Are there any other users who are getting tired about this waiting for news of Nemesys? [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No. I\'m just happily making a good living using their current product that still outperforms technologies two years newer.

andyt

Thanks for the replies guys.
    I am not \"holding out\" for anything at the moment. Since I\'m currently out of work I can\'t afford anything new even if came out.

I posed the question really to provoke thought on what could be done next with a sampler that hasn\'t been done yet. But also I really enjoying watching how this technology and market is developing.

Yeah ... 24 bit and surround.
    How would a surround sound samples work? Why do you need surround sound samples. Why not just stereo samples (or mono for that matter) and use a 5.1 mixing package to place the instrument.
    I don\'t understand (honestly I just don\'t understand surround, I\'m not being sceptical)

Giga

They seem to really believe that 3.0 will be as revolutionary to the current technology as GigaSampler (1st hard disk sampler ever) was to the sampling industry of its time. They are not stupid people nor are they delusional in my experience. I hope they are right. We shall see eventually. Their secrecy makes me squirm abit too but that is the route they have chosen so we will see how it works out.

Surround samples.

Sure, mono or stereo samples all mixed through various reverbs can sound pretty good but once you play with very well recorded surround samples (QLSO in my case) you really do get spoiled. Its the difference between mono and stereo to me. Its all a matter of having your ears constantly get pickier over time as you hear better and better quality stuff. Once you get spoiled, its hard to go back to what you have been used to in the past. Thats my take anyway.

Take care
    David Govett

Originally posted by Bruce A. Richardson:
    </font><blockquote><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><hr /><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Originally posted by Luigi:

Are there any other users who are getting tired about this waiting for news of Nemesys? [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">No. I\'m just happily making a good living using their current product that still outperforms technologies two years newer.

</font><hr /></blockquote><font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Except it\'s a huge pain to do something as simple as changing patch numbers!!!!! It\'s the most annoying thing in the world when I put a SAM Horns patch in and it goes from 2 to 37. Joy. They better implement that for Giga 3.0!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast