• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Message for King or Simon

OT: Message for King or Simon

This should be in Hardware Solutions, but I thought you guys might come here more.

Me and a friend are going to put a new DAW together for me. I am going to have a CD-RW and a seperate DVD player. On my old computer with the 2 hard drives I had just a CD-RW and I set it to slave. How would the jumpers be set on a seperate CD-RW and DVD player with 2 hard drives?

Also, do I want to get DDR ram? Is 1 gig gonna be enough to start for VSL? Any suggestions on what kinds of parts to get would be greatly appreciated. I\'m planning on ordering the parts in the next few days.

Thanks alot guys,

Re: OT: Message for King or Simon

I have a similar setup and it works fine with one CD drive set to master and the other to slave. It makes it real hard to have your streaming hard drive be a master on its own bus by itself though. Mine still gets respectable polyphony though. You can also have a all in one solution with a DVD\\CDR burner\\player. The slower RAM works fine and has for some time with Giga Streaming so you are not required to get the DDR just yet. It will eventually be the only thing available though and the price should be lower at that time. You can get motherboards that handle both types (though not at once) if you like.
    The DDR is good if you plan to spend alot on a motherboard and you want to be able to upgrade its processor and keep it for a while. If your going cheap, (less than 80 bucks) it doesn\'t much matter. You can configure a good machine for under 500 dollars plus sound card these days. For Giga right now, a gig of RAM is the ideal amount in 98se. If you get more, 98 won\'t read it, winxp will just use half of it. With winxp, you would want a couple gigs since xp will be using a bunch of your ram.
    You should hear from King before long.

Hey Damon,

Now I wonder... why only King or Simon? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

That\'s exactly two guys that are on the IRC channel! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

[img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Damon yes you should get your *** on IRC instead... or just takes Dave\'s advice

listen to Dave.

hehe, i\'ll be back in there.
    Thanks Dave for the advice. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum