• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Could this be the end of Vegas?

Share/Bookmark

Re: Could this be the end of Vegas?

I hope it is not the end!!

I use Vegas Video 4.0b,Architect and Acid.

In fact I just built a video editing suite around 4.0b.

Sony, is great though... so maybe this is good news.

I just hope they don\'t do with Sonic Foundry\'s products what Apple did to Emagic\'s Logic Audio (or something similar). [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

What, knock all the Windows versions on the head? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar

Originally posted by Lee Blaske:
    Rampant piracy, especially on the PC side of things, is leaving many of these innovative companies flat broke. They\'re looking for any port in a storm. Emagic, Steinberg, Sonic-Foudry all seem to have found some sort of safe harbor.

Lee Blaske
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">How do you explain that Cakewalk\'s sales go nothing but up, up, up, and they have no copy protection whatsoever besides a simple serial number?

Well, what I saw of the Sony website seems that there are only a some of the SF products taken over.

When I go to SF website I see that all the flagship apps are there.

But I do have to say that SF website has really changed image over the last couple of years signalling to me a change in clientel or targeted clientel. In fact, they now have a complete presentation hardware package for live/real time presentations over the internet. I wouldn\'t have put SF in that category two/three years ago.

They could be suffering and looking for a new niche or perhaps succeeding and expanding. And Sony was a way to shed some of those smaller intro progies and the tech support,etc needed to sustain them.

Just a guess.

Sony spent US$ 18,000,000

Now I understand what you\'re saying, Bruce.

I knew a little while back that it was just the smaller progs SONY seemed to acquire...but now I see it is la enchilada completa that SONY bought.

I don\'t see Vegas going away. Sony has a very aggressive video hardware business. If anything, Vegas might get the kind of advertising and press it needs for people to realize it kicks Final Cut\'s butt in about every way. I can easily see \"baby Vegas\" getting bundled with DV Cams, for instance, and a huge income stream developing from full version upgrades. Vegas 4 is absolutely the best DV editing and mastering program on any platform at any price--and by such a long shot--it is actually kind of laughable. It makes you wonder how their competition could have lost such a tremendous time/versioning lead. Vegas is a baby compared to Premeire and Final Cut.

If Vegas could get some market profile from Sony, this could be the best thing that could have ever happened with Sonic Foundry. I have seen Final Cut s in near tears after watching me edit (and steal their clients) on Vegas. Some of them even come to me for mixes now, rather than let their clients come over and see how much more I can do in so much less time. This will be interesting. Sony has far more money, like thousands of times more, to market Vegas than Apple could ever muster to compete. Sony could easily crush one of Apple\'s cash cows like it was a gnat. Very interesting stuff.

Interesting side-note for old time Vegas users: Even Vegas 1.0 (which presumably had only audio features) had a full video editing suite locked inside. If you had the right serial number, there it was. Those guys at Sonic Foundry are very crafty. They have all sorts of stuff hidden in their various applications, things that are either under development, alternate UI configurations...I really wish them well. They have been some very scrappy survivors, and have cracked a market that no one gave them odds of surviving, me as guilty as any.

Vegas rocks!

I love it for editing/mixing audio tracks, and doing dialog/sfx to video, absolutely the best for me

I dont think I\'ll be using it as the \"mixerless\" mixer in my upcomming set up tho.

I guess I have to make some tests before I decide on that. I know its ASIO compatable now... we\'ll see how it performs in that type of application.

I also get frustrated at having to edit audio and MIDI on two seperate platforms. Its time consuming. So I may stick with Cubase or Nuendo, unless I\'m only doing audio...in which case..VEGAS BABY!

Recommended reading:

Irving M. Copi, Introduction to Logic

Go Back to forum