• Register
  • Help

Topic: Whirling Tube

Whirling Tube

Hi, I\'m trying to find a whirling plastic tube sound, the kind that changes harmonics a la Bernouli\'s equation. Used among other things in the Diva soundtrack. Does anyone know if such a sample or sound-a-like exists anywhere. Sometimes it sounds a little like a tuvan throat singer. You know the kind of thing. Thanks for any input you may have.

Senior Member Bruce A. Richardson's Avatar
    Dallas, Texas

Re: Whirling Tube

Any major toy store has \'em. I have a couple of them. It\'s better to have the real thing than a sample--they\'re fun to record, and cheaper too!!

Of course they\'re best recorded with a cheap mic. \"Zooom, Zooom, Zooom, Whack!\", or at least behind a safety screen. Or if the mic is *really* cheap, you can just whirl it :-)

We\'re so dependent on library sounds.
    I once needed a whirling tube so badly that I double and triple checked all my sample cd-roms and diskettes(yes, along time ago). It never even crossed my mind to record the silly thing myself.
    In the end the track was released without the tube.
    Regrets, yes I have many...

Alex Cremers(walking towards the sunset)

vacuum cleaner hose works, too.

Haven\'t you seen Phish do his infamous vacuum cleaner hose solo live in concert [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ?

I have a whole menagery of whirrling tubes, rubber spinners, and more for sale. All sampled in high quality at major recording facitlities.

The VACUUM CLEANER!! O.K. I just tried it. It would have looked pretty funny to anyone who walked into the studio. I have this low track lighting on the ceiling so I had to kneel down to do it. Didn\'t get much volume though so I\'m running down to the toy store for one of Bruce\'s Pro Editions.

Thanks all very much.

Go Back to forum