• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Share Your Notation Sound File

Share/Bookmark

Share Your Notation Sound File

I have used Finale now since 1999. Sometimes I love her, and sometimes I want to toss her out the window, but I've learned over the years that I can get a decent enough recording for my live performers if I work diligently enough on the sound project. I have always created two different files within each work: the final score and the way it sounds. Trust me though, the sound files are not readable except for me and the readable scores are easily ready to be sent off to a publisher with confidence. I know that I am missing a lot by not using a DAW as of right now, but I am still willing to push the boundaries of my notation software as long as live performers are performing my works or as long as I trust my music to live performers. So with that, will anyone else care to share a sound file rendered only with their notation software? Here is my submission. Many of you have heard this before. It is called "Wrath of Fire" and is scored for orchestra featuring the contrabassoon. The rendering is from Finale and only uses Garritan.
    https://www.box.com/s/0g9dyem3jk9btdpei2zi
    ~Rod

Re: Share Your Notation Sound File

Sounds great, Rodney - I really admire how well you render files in Finale.

You get bonus points too for making the most out of one chord! hehe. Reminds me of a going joke The Beatles had, to see if they could write a song all on one note like Plainsong.

But there's no way I'd share anything from Sibelius that I use for notation. The sound that comes out of my files is strictly for me to get a notion of what's going on. I spend no time trying to make the program also produce a presentable sound file for me. Sibelius isn't famous for great sounding playback, but it can sound fine with a lot of effort. No, I love me Sonar for producing tracks intended for ears other than my own.

Let's see if people take you up on your suggestion for posting notation renderings. That would be interesting - Of course we hear quite a bit of music recorded in notation here in The Listening Room, but maybe people will share on your thread too.

Randy

Hi, newlywed!

I share your method of working with notation. Finale has a lot of untapped potential. Have you explored the MIDI tool in Finale? It opens many doors but is very user-unfriendly. Randy, while Sibelius is right up there notationally, it isn't as advanced as Finale in terms of playback and the latest iterations haven't addressed playback at all.

As soon as I get out from under my October busy-ness (gigs every weekend for which I really need to practice) I will post a few things. If there isn't universal interest, perhaps you and I can swap files and discuss.

While Overture isn't up to Finale's output quality and isn't yet usable for serious publishing or use by pro performers, it is MUCH easier to use for MIDI manipulation, so I use it sometimes.

I have said on several occasions that I was going to really buckle down and really get into Sonar+ARIA, but every time I've said that, I've had a hit of bad luck. The first time I said it, a flood trashed my basement office/studio not a week later. The next two times I said it, we had issues with our children that required constant attention. So this time, I ain't sayin' nothin!!!

I hesitate to think what would happen if I decide to take early retirement.

But I am very interested in pushing Finale to improve playback. Generally speaking my methods are first to use human playback, then to mark the living daylights out of the score (so I do the two-score thing as well), and third, to combine HP with editing in the MIDI tool.

The masters in this area are David etLux and Michel QcCowboy. Perhaps they will chime in as well.

Ok...I ought to be working, but I wanted to respond to this...back to work...

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

This is a short snapshot of a piece I'm working on using only Finale 2012 and Garritan's ARIA player.

http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/musi...08,%202012.mp3

I haven't done any jury rigging on any of the parts so far so it's just Finale notation straight up.
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Manthe View Post
    This is a short snapshot of a piece I'm working on using only Finale 2012 and Garritan's ARIA player.

http://www.mitchmanthe.net/~All/musi...st 8, 2012.mp3

I haven't done any jury rigging on any of the parts so far so it's just Finale notation straight up.
    Hi, Mitch - That's certainly a snappy, well-made piece of music - You didn't give credit, it's original with you? Classical in the extreme, and impressive.

I hope you never jerry rig it though! (or jury rig it) - since that means to crudely put together a makeshift version of something out of spit and chewing gum!

When you work with it some more, I suggest you pull the amount of reverb down. That's probably the default level in Finale which is always far too wet, unfortunately.

Randy

Hey Randy, Yes, it is one of mine (I only post originals). I wouldn't think of trying to remake a classic. As for the reverb, yep, it's the default. I'll turn it down (or sell more tickets)... ;-)
    Writing music for the joy of it. (with Windows 7 64bit, Intel i7 processor, 12GB memory, LOTS of disk space, Finale 2014, Garritan GPO, JABB3, COMB, Steinway, World Instruments, & Soundiron Olympus Micro Choir. And if I ever figure out how to use Sonar X2...the sky's the limit)

Hey Mitch, what trumpet did you use? I really liked the sound of it.
    ~Rodney

Quote Originally Posted by composingatnight View Post
    Hey Mitch, what trumpet did you use? I really liked the sound of it.
    ~Rodney
    Garritan GPO Trumpet 1 Solo KS

Rod, I enjoyed "Wrath of Fire"! I got past the one-chord thing and thought it was pretty interesting. I did, though, find the bass drum shots too boomy. At about 2:38 you had some clashed cymbal strikes--that's from GPO percussion, right? Sheesh. I wish Concert and Marching Band had a decent clashed cymbal sound.

Nice piece, Rod!
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

Quote Originally Posted by gogreen1 View Post
    Rod, I enjoyed "Wrath of Fire"! I got past the one-chord thing and thought it was pretty interesting. I did, though, find the bass drum shots too boomy. At about 2:38 you had some clashed cymbal strikes--that's from GPO percussion, right? Sheesh. I wish Concert and Marching Band had a decent clashed cymbal sound.

Nice piece, Rod!
    "Interesting?" "One chord thing?" Don't y'all know building the tension when you need to just like Beethoven and Bach did? Just picking on ya!
    Hehe... I like it boomy btw, LOL. If I break the bass drum head I will just buy another one.

Yep, good ol' GPO4 for only $150. Just play a D with a C# grace note in front of it and instant awesome crash. Even when I write for concert band I use GPO4. To get a nice warm and expressive concert sax sound I will fool the ear and mix an English Horn with Bass Clarinet and maybe even a little bassoon. But I am sure that CMB sounds great also.
    ~Rod

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast