• Register
  • Help

Topic: Can anyone lend me their ears?...

Share/Bookmark

Can anyone lend me their ears?...

Please could anyone offer any eq tips to this music clip as everytime I try and eq it just ends up sounding tinny or muddy. It is \"sample2\" in the music clips page at www.cpb-services.freeserve.co.uk. Thanks in advance, Doug.

Re: Can anyone lend me their ears?...

Doug,

Very nice piece - the only major flaw is the low/bottom end.

Listening at low volume, the mix sounds good but as you ramp-up the volume, the mix becomes much too bass heavy in the low range and muddies the whole thing.

There is also some \"mud\" which is quite noticeable on the piano and makes it sound muffled.

Using the built-in SX EQ, these would be the areas to concentrate on:

- low end: quite a drastic cut at 238Hz using a narrow Q (I used between 2.8 to 7.0 on my sequencer). This should cut most of the \"mud\". Digital EQ tends to be less drastic than analogue EQ so I had to cut it by more than 10db!!!

- piano: a small cut (about -2.5db) at 3080Hz using a medium Q (I used 4.5) should remove the muffled mid-range.

- general: a smallish boost (+1.7db) at 800Hz with a wide Q (0.7) to emphasise detail.

(Your mileage may vary with these figures depending on what EQ you use)

Most of the rest of the mix sounds fine, especially the strings and winds which are lovely.

Cheers,

Rudi

Hi Rudi,

Thanks for the advice, it\'s much appreciated. I\'ll give those suggestions a try and post how I get on.

Hi Rudi,

Thanks for the advice, it\'s much appreciated. I\'ll give those suggestions a try and post how I get on.

Go Back to forum