• Register
  • Help

Topic: The Rolifer adagio for cello & orchestra

Share/Bookmark

The Rolifer adagio for cello & orchestra

This is fully NON GPO. All is EWQL. I could say that the triangle was GPO, but that isn't true

I made this piece as an exercise for a cello concerto. But that was a bit too far fetched. Since I had a very lively conversation with a guy Ronald Ferguson, with the AKA Rolifer, I dedicated this piece to him. He accepted.
    So this piece saw the light after several try-outs and minor score corrections. I'll hope you enjoy this piece.

The Rolifer Adagio - the music
    The score of The Rolifer Adagio

This weekend I'll be off. To some fair with my grandson, a bit like Disneyland but different.

See you,

Raymond

Re: The Rolifer adagio for cello & orchestra

there are some beautiful musical ideas in this piece.
    but I don't understand the orchestration.

it's written for 1 flute, 1 oboe, 1 clarinet, 1 bassoon, with 2 horns 2 trumpets and 2 trombones, plus strings?

Had you used two of each woodwind I can see lots of potential for vibrant colour and inventive orchestration.
    With one of each woodwind, however, in a real-life setting, there would be very serious balance issues.

Hi Raymond,

I enjoyed this ... I like all the various areas you explore with your music; no pigeon holes; always original.

Ron 'Rolifer' was one of my favorite writers here at the forum. Before he stopped posting and visiting in the LR (I believe because he was using more and more non-Garritan libraries?), I was really enjoying his dense soundscapes (he had a great way of 'snorting' his bass clarinet parts) ... really evocative music.

What a nice tribute from one original voice to another.

Michel: Were you able to deduce solo WW's because the score doesn't indicate 'a2' or show up/down stems per instrument? Just curious, but I do agree, outside a studio-compensated environment, it would be a tough balance.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank D View Post

Michel: Were you able to deduce solo WW's because the score doesn't indicate 'a2' or show up/down stems per instrument? Just curious, but I do agree, outside a studio-compensated environment, it would be a tough balance.

Frank
    I am going by the score.

It says "flutes", yet at no point is there any indication that there is more than one flute. it's a unison line all the way through. The same goes for "oboes", "clarinets" and "bassoons".

If unison is truly what is demanded here, then I would say that it is not the best choice of orchestration.
    Two of any woodwind in unison are not twice as loud as a single player, but 8 woodwinds in full well-constructed harmony WILL hold their own against the rest of the orchestra. This is because properly constructed, harmony and counterpoint in the woodwinds ends up enhancing harmonics and reinforcing the sound.
    Simple 4-part writing, with each pair of instruments in unison will never achieve the same result. And some instruments in unison actually create a very unpleasant sound. **coughoboecough**

And some instruments in unison actually create a very unpleasant sound. **coughoboecough**
    Oboes can be used in unison?

[Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Riveting, Raymond - And you've dedicated it to one of the most prolific and interesting composers we've ever had as a member here. Ron Ferguson is sorely missed.

I would say Ron "Rolifer" inspired one of the most exciting pieces you've ever shared with us, Raymond. Very nicely recorded too.

Randy

Go Back to forum