• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Site with Soundblaster GSIF drivers

OT: Site with Soundblaster GSIF drivers

I recently got a SBLive! Value from eBay, after finding out that this card was used by ThomasJ in his latest demo (reverb included). Have I mentioned that this reverb is real-time? [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

While the card is in transit, I am taking some time to investigate about it, and I came across a website devoted to a set of independent drivers for Soundblaster cards. It appears that these add GSIF functionality, and thus we would be able to use these cards in Windows 2000/XP. Look here:

Has anyone tried this? I know that the SB reverb has some fervent defenders, like Mr. Grant. I am just wondering why it isn\'t mentioned more often in the forums. The realtime reverb should be a plus for some people, am I wrong?

And, have I mentioned that you can get an used SBLive! in eBay for less than $10? [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Re: OT: Site with Soundblaster GSIF drivers

I have asked this before a few days ago in another thread and I\'m aware that it\'s a stupid question but...How does it work, this build in reverb? Where do you add it. I\'ve only worked with outboard or VST reverbs and a reverb attached on a simple audiocard is somehow puzzling to me. [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Alex Cremers

Hi Alex,

The card has a DSP chip (the EMU10K1), which is the part of the card that actually creates the effects. It basically stores algorithms in a programming code within that DSP chip, and executes these algorithms on the audio stream. I expect to receive the card tomorrow, so I will go into some more detail if needed. You control the reverb (and the other effects) from a software application.

By the way, the Soundblaster cards are not the only ones with dedicated DSP chips (Creamware, for example, does this on pro cards). It just happens that for the very low price of $10 or $20, you can have a realtime reverb that knocks the heck out of the NFX reverb.

Also, these KX-Project drivers that I pointed to in the first post make it possible to basically create and store new DSP algorithms into the DSP chip, if you are a DSP freak that is.

Take care,

ruben, i had a system with windows ME working fine with the aardvark direct pro24/96 card. recently i got a new computer with windows xp on it. i couldnt load the aardvark driver to make giga work! finally i downloaded the soundblaster kx project driver as a workaround until i can figure out how to get the aardvark driver to work.
    so far no crashes. gigastudio works fine.

Hi Laz,

Thanks for that information. It is reassuring to hear that the KXAudio drivers are working fine for your GS setup in WinXP. Surprising considering that your card isn\'t among those supported by these drivers [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

As soon as I get my SBLive! I am going to install it on my existing Win2000 machine, and I\'ll test these drivers and the DSP effects included.
    I\'m downgrading (upgrading?) this box to Win98SE though, so I\'ll be able to compare the stock DSP effects, the APS driver effects (Apparently Win2000 isn\'t supported for these), and these KXProject ones.

I found an old (a few years) thread, and I think ThomasJ mentions that he uses the APS drivers. Yeah, I\'ll install these drivers and start cranking out masterpieces at 1.5X realtime. HAHAHAHAHA...I\'m depressed now [img]graemlins/tounge_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Take care,

Are there soundblaster cards that have spdif ports on them? I am looking a cheap card that has spdif and GSIF drivers...

Originally posted by Mike Auty:
    Are there soundblaster cards that have spdif ports on them? I am looking a cheap card that has spdif and GSIF drivers...

<font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">Mike,

The SBLive Value has a SPDIF I/O connector (or so it would seem), but it is internal , and you need to open your computer to access it. The truth is I don\'t know very well what I\'m talking about. Best bet is to go to Creative\'s site and look at the specs, or at the freely downloadable manuals.

What I can tell you is that I installed the card this morning, and it works great with Gigastudio (I\'m using it in Windows 2000) with the KxProject drivers that support GSIF. You have a choice of different realtime reverb algorithms. I tried the Reverb Lite, and after tweaking some parameters...WOW!!!!! It blows the NFX reverb out of the water! Get a used one from eBay, can\'t go wrong for less than $20.

Take care,

Go Back to forum