• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Topic: Pno Concerto 1 - a Tasty Tidbit

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Pno Concerto 1 - a Tasty Tidbit

    I have been working on a Piano Concerto. This is the rough draft of Movement I: A Frantic World with Little Time for Tenderness. Anyone who has driven a "Frantic Freeway" trying to get home to loved ones should appreciate this piece. Forewarned: This piece is not for the Melodic Seekers.

    Movement I

    If you'd like to see the score it is here:

    Mvmt I Score

    Please, this is copyrighted music - be honorable.

    Best regards,
    Bill

    P.S. This is to show my other side (opposite to the Quiet Pop Tune posted earlier.)

    P.P.S. I have updated the files with the PDF file being a more readable score and the sound file with some corrections and some ambiance.
    Last edited by wrayer; 09-17-2012 at 12:19 PM. Reason: music updates
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

    Challenge #10 Winner

  2. #2

    Re: Pno Concerto 1 - a Tasty Tidbit

    Will the real William Rayer please step forward?! AH - Yes, I see - it's both of you, that cool guy wearing the shades on stage right, and the wild eyed guy with mussed hair over on stage left. Round of applause for the perfectly integrated split personality of William Rayer folks!

    hehe - I'm glad you pointed out in your P.S. that this will show another side of you, as compared to the last pop tune you posted. The contrast is of course instantly obvious to anyone listening to the two pieces, but it's still a spot on observation, and I hope folks take the time to listen to both posts - Really fun to see a Forum member displaying so many colors here in the LR.

    This current work in progress may not be for "the Melodic Seekers," but it's not of the completely unleashed "cat walking on keyboard" school which can be so tedious. Classic theory informs the music so that listening to this is more like looking at a box which has exploded, but we can still see the various pieces as they fly away - rather than looking at a cloud of nebulous particles with no hope of ever detecting the original whole they came from.

    I enjoyed listening very much. As you go on working on it, don't forget to turn the reverb on - it seems to be absent in the current rendering.

    And some unsolicited feedback on your title - I think just "Frantic World," or "Frantic" might be more effective than the full phrase you have. "A Frantic World with Little Time for Tenderness" is so definitive and prosaic, perhaps telling us more of your specific intentions than we should know. It may be a bit like if Beethoven had called his 5th Symphony, "When Death Came Knocking at my Door," instead of letting the music be the abstract thing which just speaks for itself. Just a thought I wanted to pass on.

    Thanks for the very interesting post, Bill.

    Randy

  3. #3

    Re: Pno Concerto 1 - a Tasty Tidbit

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    This current work in progress may not be for "the Melodic Seekers," but it's not of the completely unleashed "cat walking on keyboard" school which can be so tedious. Classic theory informs the music so that listening to this is more like looking at a box which has exploded, but we can still see the various pieces as they fly away - rather than looking at a cloud of nebulous particles with no hope of ever detecting the original whole they came from.
    Nice comparison, Randy. My wife compares that kind of music to instruments being thrown down a stairwell. (Hehe) I hope I didn't damage any.

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    I enjoyed listening very much. As you go on working on it, don't forget to turn the reverb on - it seems to be absent in the current rendering.
    This is a straight dump from Finale without the reverb. I will do that stuff when I feel I have a working product. I just thought the forum would like to see the other side of Bill

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    And some unsolicited feedback on your title - I think just "Frantic World," or "Frantic" might be more effective than the full phrase you have. "A Frantic World with Little Time for Tenderness" is so definitive and prosaic, perhaps telling us more of your specific intentions than we should know. It may be a bit like if Beethoven had called his 5th Symphony, "When Death Came Knocking at my Door," instead of letting the music be the abstract thing which just speaks for itself. Just a thought I wanted to pass on.

    Thanks for the very interesting post, Bill.

    Randy
    Now you are probably right there, I included it to let listeners see where I was coming from.

    I now am going back to watch our Cleveland Bums play (try to play) football.

    Best regards,
    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

    Challenge #10 Winner

  4. #4

    Re: Pno Concerto 1 - a Tasty Tidbit

    a quick comment on the score: the piano staves go immediately above the strings.

    (I understand that this is a preliminary score, but it's always good to get into good engraving habits early)

  5. #5

    Re: Pno Concerto 1 - a Tasty Tidbit

    Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    a quick comment on the score: the piano staves go immediately above the strings.

    (I understand that this is a preliminary score, but it's always good to get into good engraving habits early)
    Even if the Piano is the soloist?

    OK. I will check and see, thanks.

    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

    Challenge #10 Winner

  6. #6

    Re: Pno Concerto 1 - a Tasty Tidbit

    Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    Even if the Piano is the soloist?

    OK. I will check and see, thanks.

    Bill
    regardless of what instrument is a soloist, in a concerto, the solo staff/staves always go immediately above the string section. This means below the harp and any percussion.

    if it was a concerto for flute, the flute staff would still go immediately above the 1st violin staff.

    this isn't like in a piano reduction of a concerto, where a piano (playing the orchestra part) is always below the soloist's part.

  7. #7

    Re: Pno Concerto 1 - a Tasty Tidbit

    Thanks, I just put it there so I could get to it quicker. But I understand the format. Thanks.

    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

    Challenge #10 Winner

  8. #8

    Re: Pno Concerto 1 - a Tasty Tidbit

    Bill: Very nice. I found this refreshing. Did you consider keeping that frantic flavor going? I liked that a lot. I would like to have heard the first 30-40 seconds continue in that vein, and just as my eyebrows rose and my ears perked up, the music quieted. I could have seen adding some more percussion there, too, and maybe more brass notes. Then a quiet section, then a return to the frantic flavor with a bursting, sudden ending. I could hear this in a concert hall with the audience rising and cheering at its conclusion.

    For a straight-out-of-Finale-with-Garritan rendition, this sounds really amazing. I've found that experimenting with reverb can change the piece's sound considerably. Are you finding that, too, with this piece?

    Nice work!
    Arthur J. Michaels
    https://www.facebook.com/composerarthurjmichaels

    Finale 2000 through Finales 25.4 (currently using Finale 25.4)
    Garritan COMB2, GPO4, GPO5, Audacity 2.1.3
    Core i7 860 @ 2.80 GHz, 8.0 GB RAM, Windows 10 Home Premium x64
    Dell 2408 WFP, 1920x1200
    M-Audio Delta Audiophile 2496
    M-Audio AV-40 monitors

  9. #9

    Re: Pno Concerto 1 - a Tasty Tidbit

    Quote Originally Posted by gogreen1 View Post
    Bill: Very nice. I found this refreshing. Did you consider keeping that frantic flavor going? I liked that a lot. I would like to have heard the first 30-40 seconds continue in that vein, and just as my eyebrows rose and my ears perked up, the music quieted. I could have seen adding some more percussion there, too, and maybe more brass notes. Then a quiet section, then a return to the frantic flavor with a bursting, sudden ending. I could hear this in a concert hall with the audience rising and cheering at its conclusion.

    For a straight-out-of-Finale-with-Garritan rendition, this sounds really amazing. I've found that experimenting with reverb can change the piece's sound considerably. Are you finding that, too, with this piece?

    Nice work!
    Thanks for listening gogreen1. Yes, Since my 2nd movement is going to be slow, maybe a bit more 'battle' in the first movement is needed. I originally conceived this as a one movement work, but it has begun to grow. Thanks for the ideas and suggestions.

    Yes, reverb can alter a lot of the listening experience. I too experiment with different settings.

    Again, Thanks for the listen,

    Bill
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

    Challenge #10 Winner

  10. #10
    Senior Member Frank D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Suburban NYC
    Posts
    1,020

    Re: Pno Concerto 1 - a Tasty Tidbit

    Hi Johnny Richards ... err, I mean Bill!

    I downloaded the mp3 and PDF score for my private use-only; there's so much to learn from your generous posting of this piece and materials. I'm looking forward to a few more listens 'blind', and then I'll follow along with the score.

    I'm enjoying this piece; I'm hearing more and more writers use a more 'fragmented' (if that's the word to use) orchestration lately; various combinations of instruments rather than full sections. I think you do this very effectively. It reminds me a little of the orchestration David (et Lux) used in his 4th Symphony, one of my absolutely favorite pieces.

    Love the string entrances (and what closely follows) at 2:55 and 3:52 ... very dramatic.

    EDIT: Almost forgot: Your renderings/mixes are really sounding polished these days ... the hard work has paid off!

    Always fun to hear the two sides of Bill!

    Frank

    Request for the festival: Your piece for 3 flutes you had performed (sorry, I don't remember the name); also one of my favorites.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •