• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sunday hymn, the Welsh country tune, LLEDROD

Share/Bookmark
    Banned

Sunday hymn, the Welsh country tune, LLEDROD

This mysterious tune appeared independently in separate hymnals, identical except with different tune names Llangollen, and Lledrod). Because my ear hears a fiddle tune one can easily image at a country dance, I have opened with a solo fiddle. It is followed by an organ bridge, and then two verses - the hymnal harmonization from The Hymnal 1982, followed by my own harmonization and descant - completing the transition from the trampled grass at a country faire to the sacred space of Westminster Abbey (or -- dare I hope? -- St Ignatius Loyola in NYC)

http://hymndescants.org/hymn-descant...rod-llangollen

the pedal in the hymnal verse is the 16 open flue, which adds depth and presence without asserting iteself. At the descant verse, I add 32 and 16 reeds to the pedal and add upper contrast with bright principals and a mixture. Midway through, I take off the low reeds, and open the swell (with a bit of tremulant) which you will hear as a kind of sweetness; and then pour it all on at the end.

Enjoy!

tech: organ: 100% GPO (foundations only) and GCPO (lots of stuff); voices: Korg Choir (Cathedral style, trebles and men).

Banned

Re: Sunday hymn, the Welsh country tune, LLEDROD

I just made some changes to the audio - the fiddle part is improved (and what fiddle part wouldn't sound better played on a Strad?), added an a cappella verse, but mainly made some changes in the organ voicing with some nice details. To wit:
    • in verse 1 and in the bridge from the a cappella statement to the final verse, listen for the 'chiff' from the chimney flute. Though the Rohrflöte is a pedal stop, the 'chiff' is a whistling sound heard in the highest register, and sounds very much like a pennywhistle. Very nice detail.
    • At the end of the bridge, there is only one note in the pedal - the final one, the 16' flue. Adds thunder.
    • in verse 3, listen to the change when powerful contrasting voices are added - a 32' contrabassoon in the bass, and the addition of bright principals and mixture in the treble.

(Korg Choir, reverb is a cathedral acoustic)
    Last edited by passagio; 09-22-2012 at 09:31 AM. Reason: clarifications

Loved the sound, loved the work, and I love anything with my name in it, lol.
    ~Rod

Very nice. I liked the organ and the overall music flow. Nice reverb.

Go Back to forum