• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Steinway crashes

Share/Bookmark

Steinway crashes

I've already submitted a case to Garritan support at their new home at Makemusic, but just in case anybody has an answer, I'm going to pose the question here as well.

I moved to a new computer last month (Windows 7, Intel i7-2600, 3.4 Ghz, 8 GB). I installed the Steinway, classic perspective only so far, and authorized it with no problems, but didn't use it until last night.

I created a project in SONAR 7, which so far only includes 1 MIDI track and an instance of ARIA running the Steinway. This was the first time I used it on the new computer, and I was able to record and playback a performance with no problems.

This afternoon, I reopened the project in SONAR to work on it some more, but the project only crashed SONAR.

I was able to open another project in SONAR which didn't involve ARIA.

I tried ARIA in standalone mode. I was able to open up several instruments from GPO with no problems, but the Steinway would only cause ARIA to lock up and crash.

I also tried creating a project in Finale with the same results.

I've made sure I have the most recent version of the ARIA player and engine. Same results.

The issue seems to be specific to the Steinway. I'm not sure what else to try, so I hope you can help.
    If anybody has any ideas, I'd love to hear from you!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Re: Steinway crashes

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers View Post
    I've already submitted a case to Garritan support at their new home at Makemusic, but just in case anybody has an answer, I'm going to pose the question here as well....If anybody has any ideas, I'd love to hear from you!
    Oh dear. Could you please post if you have ARIA 1.5 - I know you said you have the most current, but there's some confusion over what the current version actually is. That'll be helpful. I'll post your problem at the developer's forum so the programmers can be sure to see it.

Randy

Yes, I have ARIA Player v1.504 and ARIA Engine v1.602.

A little poking around led me to this page at MMs support site.

Steinway crashes after installing GPO 4

Last Updated 07/02/2012 02:44 PM | Article ID 5353

Question
    I have Garritan Authorized Steinway installed on my computer, and have recently installed GPO 4. Now, when I try to launch Garritan Authorized Steinway, it crashes. Why is this?

Answer
    This instance of crashing is fixed by updating Steinway to version 1.04 or later. You can download the update for Steinway at https://www.finalemusic.com/MyAccount/MySoftware.aspx.
    Sounds promising, but the link doesn't take me to where I can find said update. I know that GAS is discontinued, but can the update still be found anywhere?
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

--Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Yes, I have ARIA Player v1.504 and ARIA Engine v1.602.

A little poking around led me to this page at MMs support site.

Sounds promising, but the link doesn't take me to where I can find said update. I know that GAS is discontinued, but can the update still be found anywhere?
    Dan, the page with the 1.6.02 Aria ENGINE update has this warning:

"ARIA PLAYER users should first look at updating their full ARIA PLAYER before running any ARIA ENGINE update."

That's as reported on this current thread:

ARIA 1.6.0.2

What's odd, is that I don't see a download for ARIA PLAYER 1.6.0.2, only the ENGINE update. That's why the advice is to NOT update the Engine until the Player update is available, as per the warning.

BUT, this is the first I've heard of Steinway crashing ARIA - and apparently this may have been happening before this newest ARIA update for people who never updated their Steinway. That update is several years old now.

OK - I followed the Steinway update link you posted from MM. You have to have your account set up at Make Music, and then once you log on from that page, your available downloads are listed. I tried it just now, and my Steinway download is there if I needed it.

Randy

I just can't help but picture this after reading the thread topic:

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    OK - I followed the Steinway update link you posted from MM. You have to have your account set up at Make Music, and then once you log on from that page, your available downloads are listed. I tried it just now, and my Steinway download is there if I needed it.
    I've gone to the same link, logged in to my account, and checked out the list of my available downloads. Steinway is listed, but the only download link is to the authorization keycard--no link to any product updates.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

--Ray Luke (1928-2010)

I've gone to the same link, logged in to my account, and checked out the list of my available downloads. Steinway is listed, but the only download link is to the authorization keycard--no link to any product updates.
    Well dang. You're right, Dan. I was moving too fast earlier, and I thought that was a complete download. I see now it's just for the authorization card.

I suggest you dial back your install so that both the Player and the Engine are at 1.5. As I pointed out, there's a warning at the 1.6 download page that the Player needs to be updated first - but - there's no Player 1.6 posted! At the MM download page, you'll see they have 1.5, and I'm pretty sure that will be for both the Player and the Engine.

Randy

Well, I got a very nice response from MM support just now. Unfortunately, the response seems to be that the Garritan Authorized Steinway was designed for Windows XP and doesn't work on Windows 7. Bummer!

I shall cling to the hope that the new Garritan Steinway product will be released soon and that there will be an upgrade path.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

--Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Well, I got a very nice response from MM support just now. Unfortunately, the response seems to be that the Garritan Authorized Steinway was designed for Windows XP and doesn't work on Windows 7...
    Dan, I'm sorry to say you received totally incorrect information from support. I'm on Windows 7 and have used the Authorized Steinway many times. There's no compatibility issue. I guarantee that - I used the piano just yesterday.

Your issue lies elsewhere - now, for us to figure out what that is.

Randy

Re: Steinway crashes (solved?)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    I suggest you dial back your install so that both the Player and the Engine are at 1.5. As I pointed out, there's a warning at the 1.6 download page that the Player needs to be updated first - but - there's no Player 1.6 posted! At the MM download page, you'll see they have 1.5, and I'm pretty sure that will be for both the Player and the Engine.
    OK, so I downloaded the installer from MM and ran it, and came up with the same thing I had before (Player 1.5, Engine 1.6). I also tried uninstalling ARIA, then running the installer; same result.

I noticed that I had an archive of the Steinway 1.3 installer on an external hard drive, so I installed that. That seems to have done the trick. At any rate, it's been working for the last few minutes, so I'm guessing the problem has been solved. At least, I hope so!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

--Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Go Back to forum