• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Sheet music and orchstral swells?

Share/Bookmark

Sheet music and orchstral swells?

I\'ve noticed there\'s quite a bit of sheet music online, but I have no idea what I\'m looking for as a specific artist or piece. I\'d like to look at some sheet music that has a good \'swell\' in it, so I can break down the layers and see what they\'re doing. What I mean by \'swell\' is where you\'re starting off mild, and the piece \'picks up\' introducting a lot of brass, strings, etc to become \'full blown\'. Just want some ideas of what is being added at what times to add to the build up.

ANY info is greatly apprecitated, even if it\'s recommendations of instruments to use.

Basically, I keep playing with Sam Hones and Bones, and I \'hear\' these huge pieces in my head, but I\'m not sure what\'s backing it, without the experience of building complex pieces like this.

Devon

Re: Sheet music and orchstral swells?

In the sheet music you would look for one of two things: 1) A \"hairpin\" which looks like a less-than sign, only longer, or 2) the text, \"cresh\". The hairpins are usually under the staff, and the text is usually above it. Hopefully you also get expression text (pppp at the start - ffff at the end) to tell you how quietly it should begin and how loudly it should end. The expression text is also below the staff, and can be lined up with the hairpins.

It\'s up to the conductor and/or player (or midi artist) to determine exactly how the swell should build (mostly at the beginning, evenly, or mostly at the end).

I\'m not in the \"biz\" though. If me explaination is a bit off, please somebody correct me.

Wouldn\'t just about any film score John Williams wrote work?

The best non-film score example I can think of, though, is the fourth movement of Sibelius\' 5th Symphony.

Also, Ouverture de feerie by Maurice Ravel is one of my favorite pieces of all time, and has a great swell at the end.

Guess I didn\'t describe very well what I\'m looking for. Basically, I\'m looking for a piece that\'s like for example violin section, viola section, and a french horn, then it swells into 3 french horns, 2 trobones, 4 trumpets, oboe, clarinet, all the strings, timpani, etc etc etc. I want to see all the parts of the swell that make it become \'big\', what instruments are being used, what\'s being doubled, what\'s playing counter melodies, etc.

I hope that makes better sense. And thanks as always guys!

Devon

I think the confussion is in your meaning for the term \"swell\". Typically this only refers to a momentary dynamic change, not a technique whereby instruments are added gradually until the orchestration becomes louder and more complex over the course of the entire piece. There may be a term for what you are describing, but I don\'t know what it is.

Sounds like a build-up to a Full Tutti is what he\'s looking for.. If that\'s the case than there are only about a million ways to do it. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I\'m reminded of the clever way James Horner did it in his score for Wrath of Khan. In one cue called \'Kirk\'s Explosive Reply\' he starts out with staccato on basses which are syncopated for the most of the cue to give this feeling of uneasiness and confrontation. Eventually this smooths out toward the major \'build-up\'. Instruments are gradually introduced and towards the end he uses octave jumps on violins, woodwinds, and trumpets. French horns and bones extend over the last bit (almost like the roar before the explotion) and a full tutti marks the climax. This is a really good example of what Horner can do when he\'s thinking things thru.

Wrath of Khan clip (mp3)

I don\'t know if this will help but I also found this on one of my old archive cdr\'s.. it\'s a mockup of.. I think from a goldsmith score.. I can\'t remember which.. I\'m gonna post both MIDI file, which has some quantization problems, and also a gigastudio version of it using the old miroslav samples.

It\'s a simple build-up.. nothing fancy..
    Goldsmith buildup (mp3)
    Goldsmith buildup (MIDI)

All the best and good luck..

Oh thank you! Full tutti? That\'s more what I\'m looking for yes! I know there is a million ways to do it, of course, just like to see a few to get a better idea in my head how some are formed. Thank you for the MIDI! THAT will help me out a lot! I\'m still looking for sheet music online that has these full build ups. I just hear so much going on, but when you haven\'t done full mock up\'s yourself, seeing what is going on where will help me build it!

anyone with more suggestions of sheet music or midi\'s of full built up sections?

Devon

Originally posted by DevonB:
    Oh thank you! Full tutti? That\'s more what I\'m looking for yes! I know there is a million ways to do it, of course, just like to see a few to get a better idea in my head how some are formed. Thank you for the MIDI! THAT will help me out a lot! I\'m still looking for sheet music online that has these full build ups. I just hear so much going on, but when you haven\'t done full mock up\'s yourself, seeing what is going on where will help me build it!

anyone with more suggestions of sheet music or midi\'s of full built up sections?

Devon
    <font size=\"2\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">There\'s a pretty wild build-up at the end of Charles Ives\'s \"The Housatonic at Stockbridge\" (the final piece of his \"Three Places in New England\"). I had the pleasure of seeing the Boston Symphony Orchestra perform it this past spring -- total goosebumps!

There\'s also a nice build-up towards the end of Part One of Stravinsky\'s Rite of Spring.

-Shawn

There\'s also a pretty nice build-up build-up in Beethoven\'s 5th, at the start of the fourth movement.

The sense of build-up occuring is achieved not so much through the addition of extra instruments (it pretty much starts with ALL the instruments firing-up from bar 1) but by a gradual shift of the note lengths and a rapid run on first violins and winds.

It\'s only about 8 measures or so but very impressive [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Rudi
    PS Gulliver, thanks for the examples you included!

Illinois CD Store

Amazon CD 1

Amazon CD 2

Or did you mean a CD of Wagner\'s Lohengrin with Elsa\'s Procession included? I don\'t like \"sampler cd\"s

Go Back to forum